mj32f2a
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Today I front bay parked into a spot and as i came out the lady was in her car and said she had to climb over her passenger seat as i apparently parked too close to her car (i was within my lines).

She moaned at me which i asked her to reverse out as she was saying i parked too close to her, she told me she was staying in the car and not moving back but i have enough room to reverse out, as i reversed out my car slightly brushed hers and i pulled forward and got out the car, there was only a tiny bit of mud on the side of the car which i wiped off and there was minimal to no damage as it wiped off, she took my number and said she will call me if there was any damage as i didnt have my insurance number on me.

I am a new driver and do not want this to go through insurance as it will make my insurance sky rocket.
As there was little to no damage at all i want to avoid this at all costs especially because she told me i had enough room. is there a way i can avoid this going forward.

Can anyone please comment on what they think will happen and if im in the wrong and what i should do ?

Thanks
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you hit her, that's your fault. Regardless of if someone else says you've got room - it sounds like you did, from what you said, that you got into the bay when she was there so you can just do the same in reverse to get out.

If there's no damage you're fine, but given she took your number (and you gave her your real number) you should have taken photos of everything.

In future, ensure you give enough space for your neighbor's driver door to open, not merely be in your line. Unless they've parked over then it's up to you whether you want to block them (if you do this, make sure you're very tight so they don't whack your car with their door as they squeeze in).

It's a bit difficult giving you advice as a new driver as I'm not sure how much is your fault and how much is the other driver, but if she was refusing to drive away until you moved for her, you just needed to 'remember' something you had to do and leave her to it. She'll go in a couple of minutes and then you're sorted.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mj32f2a)
Today I front bay parked into a spot and as i came out the lady was in her car and said she had to climb over her passenger seat as i apparently parked too close to her car (i was within my lines).

She moaned at me which i asked her to reverse out as she was saying i parked too close to her, she told me she was staying in the car and not moving back but i have enough room to reverse out, as i reversed out my car slightly brushed hers and i pulled forward and got out the car, there was only a tiny bit of mud on the side of the car which i wiped off and there was minimal to no damage as it wiped off, she took my number and said she will call me if there was any damage as i didnt have my insurance number on me.

I am a new driver and do not want this to go through insurance as it will make my insurance sky rocket.
As there was little to no damage at all i want to avoid this at all costs especially because she told me i had enough room. is there a way i can avoid this going forward.

Can anyone please comment on what they think will happen and if im in the wrong and what i should do ?

Thanks
You're contractually obliged to inform your insurer of this incident. Do it now.
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You're obligated to inform them of the incident and you can certainly tell them you are unaware of any damage and are waiting for the other driver to conform.

In a way I think it's 50/50 whether she goes home angry and reports it/makes something up, or if she reflects 'maybe I kinda provoked that a bit' and leaves it.

The trouble starts when your insurer gets a claim from their insurer and that's the first they've heard of it.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
And this is why I park my car in bays I know no one will bother parking near. Bet she claims for damage that was there before, you should have taken pics/video of her car
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (497)
59.81%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.17%
No- I want it (235)
28.28%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.74%

Watched Threads