Bio Oil for acne scars

Watch
Faint_x
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Dunno why but recently I've been getting loads of spots on my upper lip and round that area and they have left loads of scars
It's horrible, and was wondering if anyone has tried Bio Oil on the face to get rid of scars? Do you think it will work on acne scars? How long does bio oil usually take to work? Does it get rid of scars completely or how well does it improve the appearence of them? Really don't want to put this stuff on my face but guess I will have to, at night and that. Is there anything else I can use besides Bio Oil?

Thanks x
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I tryed bio oil for some scars i had (not acne) and it didnt work at all, im not sure if it was my skin type, or if i didnt give it time to work, i have heard that taking vitamin e or increasing your intake of it could have a positive effect on skin and scar tissue (not sure about this however)
McPhee8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've heard it works well on acne scaring, never tried it personally though.
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 11 years ago
Bio oil is really oily - so I really do advise against putting it on your upper lip to try and heal the scares as it'll just give you another break out - like it did my brother - convinced bio oil would heal spots and fade out the acne! (wrong!!:rolleyes: )

However, I have used it on various other scars on my body and its working (after one year - bio oil isn't a quick fix, you have to give it time).

My advise would be to leave it and see if the scars will naturally heal on their own or use a fade out cream which can over time heal the area which has been scarred.

Hope that helps
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i'm using it on my face and I've not noticed being more spotty, but it sure is oily it makes using make up harder cos my skin is too greasy for it to stay on and I don't even use that much oil. But yeah nothing has really happened yet, I've been using it for a month now but it will most definitely take longer than that to work, if I see no difference at all by about christmas I will be peeved.
Rokit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DancinBallerina)
Bio oil is really oily - so I really do advise against putting it on your upper lip to try and heal the scares as it'll just give you another break out - like it did my brother - convinced bio oil would heal spots and fade out the acne! (wrong!!:rolleyes: )

However, I have used it on various other scars on my body and its working (after one year - bio oil isn't a quick fix, you have to give it time).

My advise would be to leave it and see if the scars will naturally heal on their own or use a fade out cream which can over time heal the area which has been scarred.

Hope that helps
Bio Oil seems to be hit or miss really. Some notice a different others dont. I know I didnt
Rokit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
i'm using it on my face and I've not noticed being more spotty, but it sure is oily it makes using make up harder cos my skin is too greasy for it to stay on and I don't even use that much oil. But yeah nothing has really happened yet, I've been using it for a month now but it will most definitely take longer than that to work, if I see no difference at all by about christmas I will be peeved.
Is this from face scars? It might be best to get a face peel. There is a good clinic in Croydon that deals with skin issues etc
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rokit)
Is this from face scars? It might be best to get a face peel. There is a good clinic in Croydon that deals with skin issues etc
nah I'm using it more for uneven skin tone, I don't trust skin peels cos I'm asian and there's too much risk with pigmentation problems with things like that which I have enough of lol, but thank you
watermelon sugar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
don't use bio oil when your skin is still acne prone and oily. i use it on my face and i think it definitely works to even my skin tone and such, though i don't exactly hve actual acne scars.
vitamin e oil is even better. my um used is on a scar from a back operaton and it works amazingg. she started using it a month or two after the operation i believe and the scar was significantly faded and lighter in colour after a couple of months.

i used to reallyyy love clinique post blemish formula. it's not oily and you just rub a tiny dit right on the scar area asap and it works very well after just a week.
it's about £10 for a blue stick that kinda looks like a biro, lasts bout two months if you use it on a small area regularly.
SuperStaah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've not personally tried Bio Oil myself, but I did get some Vitamin E Moisture Serum from Body Shop. I've used it for about 5 months now and it has helped me a lot. They haven't completely gone yet but they are starting to fade.
So if you wanted to try something else, I would recommend that.

(Original post by Rokit)
Oo really, where? I live in Croydon so I may visit the clinic.
mitsabeeba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
bio oil worked for me on the minor spot scars on my face, and bigger ones on my arm
but it takes patience and applying it often
took me about 4 months of regular use to fade away my big scars
on my face, i used bio oil once at night before i slept (it recommends 3x a day but how can you put oil on your face when you're out in public..shiny-ness!) .. and whenever i knew i had the chance to stay indoors and see nobody, id put it on my face then
Rokit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by SuperStaah)
I've not personally tried Bio Oil myself, but I did get some Vitamin E Moisture Serum from Body Shop. I've used it for about 5 months now and it has helped me a lot. They haven't completely gone yet but they are starting to fade.
So if you wanted to try something else, I would recommend that.

Oo really, where? I live in Croydon so I may visit the clinic.
The lady who owns the clinic only deals with black and Asian skin (there are significant differences to white skin due to the presence of melanin) so unless you are one of those she wont be able to help

It is on London Road. Let me know if you want the details
kookoo_koochoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rokit)
The lady who owns the clinic only deals with black and Asian skin (there are significant differences to white skin due to the presence of melanin) so unless you are one of those she wont be able to help

Can i just ask if you have or know anyone that's had anything like a peel done? If I am ever in that area I could go and have a chat, but I've heard so many horror stories so i'm sticking to milder things like bio oil.
xylophonefairy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I have recently started putting it on a scar I have in my chin from an accident when I was 4. It can be quite red an noticeable which is obviosuly not very attractive. I'm hoping it works.

Interestingly, I work in a pharmacy and we sell Bio Oil, but when we put it out on the shelf we have to take the bottle out the boxes because people keep nicking it, leaving the empty boxes on the shelves.
Blue Rose
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How much is bio oil?
mitsabeeba
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Blue Rose)
How much is bio oil?
the smallest bottle is 8.99 the last time i bought it, and with regular use it lasted me 4-5 months
check on theboots website
Rokit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by xylophonefairy)
I have recently started putting it on a scar I have in my chin from an accident when I was 4. It can be quite red an noticeable which is obviosuly not very attractive. I'm hoping it works.

Interestingly, I work in a pharmacy and we sell Bio Oil, but when we put it out on the shelf we have to take the bottle out the boxes because people keep nicking it, leaving the empty boxes on the shelves.
tbh I think it works on white skin as everyone i know who has praised it has been of European descent so just stick with it for 6 mths -1yr
ViolatedTreason
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
I tryed bio oil for some scars i had (not acne) and it didnt work at all, im not sure if it was my skin type, or if i didnt give it time to work, i have heard that taking vitamin e or increasing your intake of it could have a positive effect on skin and scar tissue (not sure about this however)
when i got the scar on my chin, everyone suggested that i use bio-oil, but i saw no use in paying stupid prices, for something that wouldnt work, the scar was too big for it...

kind of become accustomed to the scar now and doesnt bother me or get me down now... only really did affect me when it was healing, as there was a massive scab on it *eugh*

scars on the face arent that bad tbh, and bio-oil doesnt work that well on scars imho
Rokit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kookoo_koochoo)
Can i just ask if you have or know anyone that's had anything like a peel done? If I am ever in that area I could go and have a chat, but I've heard so many horror stories so i'm sticking to milder things like bio oil.
I have had a peel. I know there are chemical peels which sound scary, but I got a herbal peel in her clinic. Your skin starts to peels after 4 days (depending on what part of your body you do it on)

I notice a positive difference in my skin when the new skin emerged
SuperStaah
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rokit)

I'm Asian but I have really really fair skin, so I guess its not really for me then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (101)
27.6%
No (265)
72.4%

Watched Threads