Scotland-Ireland bridge Watch

Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Smack)
Such a project would have astronomical costs, and I'm not even really that sure what benefits it would bring either.
More travel each way. Lower freight costs. Eco warriors prefer the car or train to air travel.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Interesting proposal should be explored, especially in terms of ease of crossing, trade and preserving the Union.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
More travel each way. Lower freight costs. Eco warriors prefer the car or train to air travel.
Shudder to think what the 'market' toll would be on the proposed bridge...
Skye bridge reached £11.40 car round trip before being abolished due to political pressure
Severn bridge reached £6.70 car round trip before being abolished due to political pressure

Doesn't really do a very efficient job of connecting the island of Ireland to the rest of Europe by road

Holyhead is already connected to the motorway network by fast dual carriageway and to the rail network by a pretty decent raillway

Doesn't really do a very efficient job of connecting the island of Ireland to densely populated areas of Britain apart from the Scottish central belt - Tyne and Wear look 50:50 at best

Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
Shudder to think what the 'market' toll would be on the proposed bridge...
Skye bridge reached £11.40 car round trip before being abolished due to political pressure
Severn bridge reached £6.70 car round trip before being abolished due to political pressure

Doesn't really do a very efficient job of connecting the island of Ireland to the rest of Europe by road

Holyhead is already connected to the motorway network by fast dual carriageway and to the rail network by a pretty decent raillway

Doesn't really do a very efficient job of connecting the island of Ireland to densely populated areas of Britain apart from the Scottish central belt - Tyne and Wear look 50:50 at best

For car travel i agree (although its worth bearing mind that ROI is not part of the union) and ideally you'd probably want more connections (possibly including the Isle Of Man to cut costs) however if you think of it in the context of the rail network and assume that they will get a fast link from Stranraer to Glasgow and Newcastle possibly then there is a greater benefit.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I would not support one without it being a rail line, indeed I think it should be only a rail bridge. Given the standard of car driving, I would not trust many car drivers over a 20 mile long bridge.

Agree it may be deliberately timed given the Irish general election. As for Mr Johnson, his record of vanity projects and non-delivery is such that it is sensible to be concerned.
Do you want the rail bridge to be UK standard 4'81/2" gauge or Irish 5'3" gauge?
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's at best a pointless vanity project from a PM with a long history of it, or for the more cynical, standard government corruption, funnelling money into a consultancy firm they're mates with to "determine the feasibility" - before after 5 years they determine its not feasible given the choppy seas and deep trench full of munitions and nuclear waste, as well as the need to completely redevelop the area around the where the bridge would make land (for instance there's basically nothing around port Patrick on the Scottish end).
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Do you want the rail bridge to be UK standard 4'81/2" gauge or Irish 5'3" gauge?
I'd have standard UK gauge, and a link from the bridge to Belfast.
Just a reg bloke
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it's very dangerous and disrespectful on Boris Johnsons part.

The Irish nationalists will not like it one bit.

Boris Johnson has said it's to "bolster the Union". It's obviously an attempt to stop a possible United Ireland.

It's separate island. End of.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd have standard UK gauge, and a link from the bridge to Belfast.
I suspect then that the economics won't work.

If you have to drive the Guinness to Belfast to put it on a train you might as well drive it to Dunleary.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

If you have to drive the Guinness to Belfast to put it on a train you might as well drive it to Dunleary.
There are freight containers that can easily be moved from road to rail.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Can't you just have a gauge changer?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Having read into it, the ferry routes to that port have been discontinued... and those futuristic high speed ferries
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
standard boris. he loves a big vanity project. Something he can put his name to, and then take credit for, for years to come.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I would imagine that the Irish government might be interested in contributing a stretch if we actually built it to Ireland.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by the beer)
Can't you just have a gauge changer?
I suspect not because even in the golden age of railways there were no train ferries to Ireland.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That sounds like one of the most moronic ideas i've ever heard of. And i thought the bridge to france idea was hairbrained.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
One might want to consider whether either Scotland or Northern Ireland even want such a bridge imposed upon them by England, in the first instance...
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There are freight containers that can easily be moved from road to rail.
But which do not have to be if taken by sea on a road trailer.

Twice as much unitised freight travels by the Channel ferries as by the Channel Tunnel and that is without a break of gauge.
Last edited by nulli tertius; 1 week ago
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I suspect not because even in the golden age of railways there were no train ferries to Ireland.
Well the Spanish and Russians seem to manage.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by the beer)
Well the Spanish and Russians seem to manage.
I do not know if there is a technical reason but you would have thought that if it was possible the vast amount of Irish livestock exports would have been brought across the Irish Sea in railway cattle trucks on train ferries rather than on the open decks of steamers as they commonly were until WWII.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads