The Student Room Group

Is it normal to argue on holiday in a relationship?

My boyfriend recently surprised me with a weekend trip abroad for my birthday. Prior to this we had been going through a rough patch (arguing weekly over petty things & stress from other areas of my life had been spilling in to the relationship). I did suggest him cancelling the trip, rescheduling it for a later date for when we had worked on our problems, but he wanted to go ahead with it as it was an important occasion and he felt it was the break we needed. We have previously been on trips in the UK and it's gone really well, so I thought it should all be okay.

The night before flying out we stayed together in a hotel near the airport and everything was fine. We woke up happy, and once I found out where we were going I was super excited. We arrived at our holiday destination and all was well, then we went to dinner and he ended up making a silly comment half way in (he often doesn't think before he speaks) which got to me... I struggle to hide my emotions at the best of times so he was aware that it upset me and it went silent for 5-10 minutes, but then blew over and we were fine for the rest of the evening. The second day we had an amazing day and evening... and we were on our way to dinner when, again, he made a comment that I may have taken the wrong away (it sounded patronising but he didn't intend for it to be). This annoyed me as we'd had such a fun day and again I felt like it'd been spoiled. We went to dinner at a lovely restaurant but it just wasn't as good as it could've been as I wasn't in the mood. We walked back to our hotel quietly but I think we still cuddled as we went to sleep. The next morning we woke up, everything was fine, headed to the airport to leave and again had a petty argument over something. So basically we argued every single day we were there... we had a long talk on the plane back and ironed everything out and now we are fine. The trip itself was amazing, but I feel it didn't live up to my expectations quite so much given the arguing.

I feel like there was a lot underlying... and provided the fact we weren't amazing to begin with, it was probably bound to happen. It's not as though a trip is going to magically solve our problems, but I hoped at the very least we could've made the most of the break.

Is it normal for this to happen on holidays in relationships? I don't know if it's just us... when we get on it's amazing, but then it can quickly get spoilt. Also it was our very first trip abroad and I don't want it to be remembered for the fact that we still argued. :frown: does it sound like we ruined the holiday for nothing?
Instead of letting your emotions and your disatisfaction build up and leading to arguments, I think you both should sit down and talk things through e.g. why you were upset over the comment he made and listen to his explanation.
Reply 2
You’re right. I feel like in the moment I can’t do that as I just get upset and want to shut off rather than talk about it right away :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending