Average IQ of university students

Watch
hiddenoneseer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Even on Harvard the average IQ is maximum 125-130(Seen a study where the lowest IQ of the group of Harvard students tested was 97). On Cambridge and Oxford, the IQ will be also around 125 on average:https://pumpkinperson.com/2017/08/21...idge-students/

The average IQ of all university students is 110-115, as we know. But it is being taken up by Mathematics,medicine,physics etc.
Thus, the vast majority of university students is situated between 100-110.
Do you guys agree?
username5147920
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry for the non-answer answer, but IQ is deeply outdated. Using a ratio between mental and physical age is bound to make non-young people 'stupid'. (Yes, IQ = mental age / physical age * 100)

P.S. Harvard is the epitome of people buying their way into university. Don't be fooled by the admission rates, they are far from the ranks of MIT imo.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
IQ has been heavily discredited as a measure of intelligence.

And as the above poster said, Harvard's admissions leave a lot to be desired - 36% of the current freshman class are 'legacy' students (i.e. one of their parents also attended Harvard...)
Lucifer323
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
IQ Tests are not a good way to measure someone's intelligence, as there are many of them!

Social Intelligence
Emotional Intelligence
Academic Ability
Linguistic Intelligence
Visual Intelligence
And others...

Even when it tries to assess what it calls intelligence it usually fails as you will see perfectly fine and very intelligent people to score low and vice versa.
Reguken
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My IQ is about room temperature
Diplomatic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just over half of all teens go to university in the UK now. If the average IQ is 100 across the UK, then I suspect the sample size of the 50% that go to university is large enough to converge with the average of all Brits. So, my guess is that the average IQ of a uni student is 100.

Just to note though, IQ of X value doesn't mean anything because each test is different. E.g. when I sat Mensa tests, I had to take 2. On one I was in the top 2% of all test takers, on the other I was in the top 20%. On another test I could have done worse. It's a very flimsy, narrow and unimportant method to determine how smart someone is.
Last edited by Diplomatic; 1 year ago
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
IQ has been heavily discredited as a measure of intelligence.

And as the above poster said, Harvard's admissions leave a lot to be desired - 36% of the current freshman class are 'legacy' students (i.e. one of their parents also attended Harvard...)
Just because their parents attended Harvard, does that really mean they definitely didn't deserve to get in? Or is it more like they only got in because their parents attended?
Last edited by Theloniouss; 1 year ago
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Harvard is the place you can buy your way in. Especially for politicians.
Likewise here in the UK, Oxford is the place you can buy your way in, then become a politician or even a prime minister, support Brexit and hence damage the national interest.

No indication of intelligence there especially the local ones who have been to Oxford and play with the lives and welfare of their citizens.
Lucifer323
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Harvard is the place you can buy your way in. Especially for politicians.
Likewise here in the UK, Oxford is the place you can buy your way in, then become a politician or even a prime minister, support Brexit and hence damage the national interest.

No indication of intelligence there especially the local ones who have been to Oxford and play with the live its and welfare of their citizens.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hiddenoneseer)
Even on Harvard the average IQ is maximum 125-130(Seen a study where the lowest IQ of the group of Harvard students tested was 97). On Cambridge and Oxford, the IQ will be also around 125 on average:https://pumpkinperson.com/2017/08/21...idge-students/
What did you expect since higher IQ levels are extremely rare, and those who have them, more often suffer from mental disfunctions that effectively prevent them from studying?

The average IQ of all university students is 110-115, as we know.
I don't. First of all, I don't even know to which IQ scale are you refering to, specifically?

But it is being taken up by Mathematics,medicine,physics etc.
Thus, the vast majority of university students is situated between 100-110.
Do you guys agree?
How am I supposed to disagree? I don't know what average are you referring to. If it's arythmetic average, it might be that half of them has less, and half of them has more than that. But it's not likely according to the stats.
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reguken)
My IQ is about room temperature
In Celsius or in Kelvin?
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To be brutally honest it wouldn't surprise me if university IQ was about that of national average. There are a number of respectable and hard to reach courses but many more mickey mouse degrees. The numbers of people going to university now is ridiculous really - most leave with a degree that doesn't qualify them for anything and just start at basing rung 1 of the ladder as if they had never been.
Reguken
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SkyRunner61)
In Celsius or in Kelvin?
Celsius
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.44%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
32.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.59%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.59%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.79%
I think it's an unfair expectation (36)
24.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.05%

Watched Threads