marinaelise
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi (again!)

In the notes my lecturer has given us for line integrals over scalar fields, he talks about "vector valued scalar functions" .

To me this seems contradictory;
I thought a vector valued function was a function taking in either a vector or scalar and outputting a vector, and I thought a scalar function was something outputting a scalar?

Which of these definitions is wrong?
I'm terribly confused and would greatly appreciate any clarification!
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by marinaelise)
Hi (again!)

In the notes my lecturer has given us for line integrals over scalar fields, he talks about "vector valued scalar functions" .

To me this seems contradictory;
I thought a vector valued function was a function taking in either a vector or scalar and outputting a vector, and I thought a scalar function was something outputting a scalar?

Which of these definitions is wrong?
I'm terribly confused and would greatly appreciate any clarification!
Which function was it? I presume its a function taking in a scalar and outputting a vector.
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What you have written is correct.

Only thing I can think of is a vector valued function whose input is a scalar, but the terminology would be nonstandard.
marinaelise
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Which function was it? I presume its a function taking in a scalar and outputting a vector.
it was actually a function taking a vector outputting a scalar, which makes me wonder if its a mistake
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
it was actually a function taking a vector outputting a scalar, which makes me wonder if its a mistake
Vector valued generally means the reverse. Why not ask the lecturer?
marinaelise
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Vector valued generally means the reverse. Why not ask the lecturer?
I don't want to be the one who points out mistakes in his notes I guess I don't make a habit of it I'll do that
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I don't want to be the one who points out mistakes in his notes I guess I don't make a habit of it I'll do that
Just ask! Think of it as doing your future classmates a favour by clearing up some confusion
marinaelise
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Just ask! Think of it as doing your future classmates a favour by clearing up some confusion
haha , a nice way to put it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
20.33%
No (98)
79.67%

Watched Threads