Matildo1212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been trying for a while now to get my first job. I would’ve started when I was 15 but I didn’t have my national insurance number yet. I’ve been trying for about 7/8 months now to find a job and nothing seems to work. I moved to a new city with my parents when I turned 16 so we don’t know anyone so I couldn’t get a job through knowing someone. I don’t have any experience, so after the measly 3 interviews I’ve had I asked what I could do to improve they all said I was fine but other candidates were more experienced or were more available than I was. I go to a sixth form 5 days a week and since they’re strict about not leaving school until 3.10 even when you have no lessons I can only work weekends and evenings. I have applied for everything, retail, cleaning , food service etc. Of course I don’t apply for jobs that are for people with a lot more experience, I apply for almost everything though , working in shops , takeaways , cafes etc. I rarely get interviews, and when I do they tell me I do things correctly but because I’m not available like the other candidates theyd rather take them. But.. I only apply for the jobs that say their shifts would be weekends or evenings. I’m a bit stuck and very discouraged, what am I supposed to do. I understand volunteering is an option but at the moment money’s a rare thing in our house and I’d really like to start saving to get out. I’ve been told I’m not allowed to go too far for the job because my mother is far too “scared” for my safety. Which does upset me because yes I understand travelling 45 minutes on busses and trains to work minimum wage isn’t the best but surely if I’m offered something I should at least try it. Is there anything else I can do? I live in keighley , I’m 16 and there seems to always be someone better applying for the same job as me. What should I do?
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just keep trying - it's all based on luck
Matildo1212
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Maybe so.. but it doesn’t mean I don’t Feel discouraged.
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Just keep trying - it's all based on luck
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Matildo1212)
Maybe so.. but it doesn’t mean I don’t Feel discouraged.
It's normal for you to experience this as do many 16 years olds but you have to remember you're very limited with your age (because of insurance sometimes and age guidelines), flexibilty (sixth form schedule) and lack of experiences. That's why you have to keep trying because it's so difficult to find a job that will accept you despite your limitations
RS15047
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Even though you may need to £££, getting a job while doing 5 days of sixth form could be very ambitious and demanding (sorry to drown your hopes).

I first applied for a job around my 17th birthday, and a year later, I only had one interview in all that time, which was at Costa. So I gave up and applied to the lowest of the low; McDonalds. If they take on the wally I am, they'll accept anyone, but I'm not sure if you have the time seeing as they always give 8 hour shifts (sometimes 6) and you can only do the weekends (probably only 1 day as you need the other day to rest). Still, give it a try if your desperate enough; there appears to be one in Keighley.

Believe me, you've done amazing to have already got 3 interviews at your age!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed