University remarking procedures Watch

summercloud
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi! I am a second-year law student at the University of Exeter and this year there have been a large array of complaints about some of the grades that have been returned. I along with other students have requested the module grades get remarked but we have been rejected due to it being against 'University Procedure'. The marks received are wrong and so many students are sure of it. This is not just through self-belief but past evidence of grades and opinions from other academics and lawyers themself! I feel so helpless and ignored by the University, not to mention I believe I have been treated substantially differently due to suffering from problems with physical health. I am so lost and NEED advice!? Is this a procedure at other Russell Group Universities?
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 2 weeks ago
not sure what you mean. did you follow university procedure?

www.exeter.ac.uk/students/administration/complaintsandappeals/complaints/

what other academics have supported your claim? if academics at your school support this, then there is your evidence and you should follow through. keep fighting for yourself. but i'm not sure, is this dependent on your overall student experience or your specific physical health that you think the university should consider? you need to decide.

also moved your thread to University life
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by summercloud)
Hi! I am a second-year law student at the University of Exeter and this year there have been a large array of complaints about some of the grades that have been returned. I along with other students have requested the module grades get remarked but we have been rejected due to it being against 'University Procedure'. The marks received are wrong and so many students are sure of it. This is not just through self-belief but past evidence of grades and opinions from other academics and lawyers themself! I feel so helpless and ignored by the University, not to mention I believe I have been treated substantially differently due to suffering from problems with physical health. I am so lost and NEED advice!? Is this a procedure at other Russell Group Universities?
The University will have an internal process to deal with this kind of thing, you need to follow that process to the end before trying to escalate things. You will need to make a case to the module leader that something is wrong with the marking system based on evidence. Be aware that work that counts significantly towards a degree is almost without exception double marked so it has probably already been through a review before the marks were released. If an entire module is “low” then that’s something for the course director or the entire staff to deal with at an examiners meeting. Our institution uses an algorithm to decide if things need tweaking – which is pretty rare – and this is benchmarked against expectations for the whole cohort mark distribution based on students prior exam performance. Your university will have something similar in place, but it won’t get triggered by a few student complaints in isolation.

Sorry to say this, but students often think they "deserve a higher mark", but you need to ask the question, how many of these pieces of work have you marked as a professional, likely zero. The marker however will likely have seen hundreds, possibly thousands of similar bits of work over multiple years so will have a very different benchmark for quality than you. This means its vitally important to understand the feedback on your work and use it to identify what to do better next time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (343)
60.49%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.11%