Scared I’ll fail first year of uni! Watch

m-k1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m doing law and in first year. I consistently keep performing badly in my assignments, getting 2.2s and failing some

In my only real assignment that I’ve done so far, I got a 2.1 but it was meant to be a really easy module that I thought I did really well in

I also don’t mean to sound arrogant but I’m used to performing well so its really a kick in the teeth for me

What can I do? I really would want a first, which seems impossible at the moment
m-k1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Help?
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All you can do is your best. There are no "really easy modules".

The thing with law is that you have to get to grips with writing in a very clear and concise structure very quickly.

The only way you get used to that is by making sure you take all of the opportunities for practice assessments and feedback sessions, and that you learn from that feedback too.

A lot of people seem to think they can simply get away with regurgitating all of these principles that they've learnt and that will be enough. When you're going through cases and principles make sure you're taking the time to evaluate those principles and apply them to your situation at hand.

Also, if your university offer essay writing workshops, make sure you attend them! They're very useful.
Last edited by MidgetFever; 1 week ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by m-k1)
I’m doing law and in first year. I consistently keep performing badly in my assignments, getting 2.2s and failing some

In my only real assignment that I’ve done so far, I got a 2.1 but it was meant to be a really easy module that I thought I did really well in

I also don’t mean to sound arrogant but I’m used to performing well so its really a kick in the teeth for me

What can I do? I really would want a first, which seems impossible at the moment
Did the assignments in which you got 2:2s and fails count?

First year doesn't always count towards your final degree classification (although this varies by course/university), so you have this year to iron out the kinks in your technique. It might be a good idea to pop into your university's study skills department to get some tips on essay writing at university level.
m-k1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Update: I got a 2:2 on another assignment..I can’t take this anymore! Someone who knows how to write law essays university level please help! Should i just give up?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I mean, I tried.

What is it you're struggling with specifically? As in, what feedback have your tutors given you?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by m-k1)
Update: I got a 2:2 on another assignment..I can’t take this anymore! Someone who knows how to write law essays university level please help! Should i just give up?
Do you actually enjoy studying law? Honestly? After all, a 2ii in law as a final result is pretty useless so you'd have to be very sure that you could improve your marks. Even though your first year doesn't usually count towards your degree classification, firms look at paper/module results for vac schemes, so getting poor results at this stage still has an impact.

J Papi - could you confirm for me how getting poor results impacts on the chances of being offered a vac scheme, as it's a long time since I was involved with this? Thanks buddy
m-k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I mean, I tried.

What is it you're struggling with specifically? As in, what feedback have your tutors given you?
The feedback has ranged..from not being analytical enough, being too descriptive, not talking about enough arguments, talking about too many arguments...
m-k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Do you actually enjoy studying law? Honestly? After all, a 2ii in law as a final result is pretty useless so you'd have to be very sure that you could improve your marks. Even though your first year doesn't usually count towards your degree classification, firms look at paper/module results for vac schemes, so getting poor results at this stage still has an impact.

J Papi - could you confirm for me how getting poor results impacts on the chances of being offered a vac scheme, as it's a long time since I was involved with this? Thanks buddy
I do enjoy it and I always think my assignments are decent until I get the results back...

So far I’ve got a mid 2.1 and high 2.2 on my 2 real assignments, each worth 30% of the module (theres 5 modules) do you think I can still salvage my grade?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by m-k1)
I do enjoy it and I always think my assignments are decent until I get the results back...

So far I’ve got a mid 2.1 and high 2.2 on my 2 real assignments, each worth 30% of the module (theres 5 modules) do you think I can still salvage my grade?
At least you got one 2i grade. That's something.

The main is that you're interested in it and enjoy studying it. I'd say forget it otherwise - it's a hard enough slog as it is. But yes, of course you can technically salvage it. It's absolutely imperative that you get a 2i minimum, and preferably a decent 2i (i.e 65 or over). You can do this, but you need to badger your lecturers/markers/tutor for detailed feedback. Email them and ask if you can have a one-to-one meeting where you go through in detail the assignment and where its weaknesses are, so you can improve for next time. I feel at the moment you're thrashing around in the dark about a bit, wanting to improve but not quite sure how.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Depends on the firm, but a 2.2 ****s things up for most firms (especially the good ones). They'd probably be best waiting until they got second year results before they applied.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by J Papi)
Depends on the firm, but a 2.2 ****s things up for most firms (especially the good ones). They'd probably be best waiting until they got second year results before they applied.
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (197)
67.93%
No (93)
32.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed