No motivation to study and fear of failure Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, I am 17 and I am in sixth year (Scotland). I recently started failing some tests and prelims and has brought me down so much to the point where I just can't revise.
I cry almost everyday because of school and I feel horrible mentally because of failure. I had never failed before and normally I'm an A/B student but this year I am finding everything very challenging and I feel like studying will make me feel even worse when I see how much I don't know.
I have applied to study a competitive and demanding course and I am just waiting for my offers, and I feel like I can't meet them. I know if I get rejected from University due to not meeting a condition will completely ruin me.
Why do I fear failure so much?
How do I study, and not think about the worst case scenarios?

Help
stereotypeasian
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am currently 17 and also in sixth year.
I went through a phase like this last year, and I didn't like it but this is how I slowly removed the mindset :
-became friends who are applying to the same competitive course as me
-asked for help from friends/teachers/parents when I needed
-took a break and time for myself
-instead of thinking of the worst case scenarios create an ideal scenario that is dreamlike and then create a nice realistic scenario (that is between the very worst and very best scenario) that you would be fine with happening in real life, think with a hopeful mindset not positive, hopeful

I believe in you, you can get into uni this year on the course you want
(if not a gap year does sound fun and free from school's extra pressures from exam boards, school reputation and teachers' unrealistic expectations of being the highest performing high school in Scotland)

You fear failure because you believe you aren't good enough when in reality YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH !!!!, and because you have high expectations for yourself that you have been proven to meet time and time again- this is just a one off thing

Also waiting on offers so lets wait for offers together and cry together and support each other during these stressful times:heart:
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello, I am 17 and I am in sixth year (Scotland). I recently started failing some tests and prelims and has brought me down so much to the point where I just can't revise.
I cry almost everyday because of school and I feel horrible mentally because of failure. I had never failed before and normally I'm an A/B student but this year I am finding everything very challenging and I feel like studying will make me feel even worse when I see how much I don't know.
I have applied to study a competitive and demanding course and I am just waiting for my offers, and I feel like I can't meet them. I know if I get rejected from University due to not meeting a condition will completely ruin me.
Why do I fear failure so much?
How do I study, and not think about the worst case scenarios?

Help
1. Worrying is a complete waste of energy. It helps you with nothing. So actively try and stop it. Change your mindset. You got this.
2. Talk to some teachers see if they can help you. I did badly in my mock exams but still did well at A level.
3. Be organised and methodical in your work. Work out the areas you need work on, then work on them! Practice is golden. Extra reading etc. helps too. This is the final straight so it's worth putting other things on hold so you can work more. Of course, you still need some free time!
4. You have plenty of time before exams, if you work hard and start now you can definitely be in control for them. The more time you waste the less time you have to revise. Like you say you're normally a good student so I wouldn't worry too much you're definitely capable.
5. Can't you reapply next year anyway if it all goes pear-shaped?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
I am currently 17 and also in sixth year.
I went through a phase like this last year, and I didn't like it but this is how I slowly removed the mindset :
-became friends who are applying to the same competitive course as me
-asked for help from friends/teachers/parents when I needed
-took a break and time for myself
-instead of thinking of the worst case scenarios create an ideal scenario that is dreamlike and then create a nice realistic scenario (that is between the very worst and very best scenario) that you would be fine with happening in real life, think with a hopeful mindset not positive, hopeful

I believe in you, you can get into uni this year on the course you want
(if not a gap year does sound fun and free from school's extra pressures from exam boards, school reputation and teachers' unrealistic expectations of being the highest performing high school in Scotland)

You fear failure because you believe you aren't good enough when in reality YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH !!!!, and because you have high expectations for yourself that you have been proven to meet time and time again- this is just a one off thing

Also waiting on offers so lets wait for offers together and cry together and support each other during these stressful times:heart:
Thanks for the positive comments! will try to live in dream world and see what happens x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
1. Worrying is a complete waste of energy. It helps you with nothing. So actively try and stop it. Change your mindset. You got this.
2. Talk to some teachers see if they can help you. I did badly in my mock exams but still did well at A level.
3. Be organised and methodical in your work. Work out the areas you need work on, then work on them! Practice is golden. Extra reading etc. helps too. This is the final straight so it's worth putting other things on hold so you can work more. Of course, you still need some free time!
4. You have plenty of time before exams, if you work hard and start now you can definitely be in control for them. The more time you waste the less time you have to revise. Like you say you're normally a good student so I wouldn't worry too much you're definitely capable.
5. Can't you reapply next year anyway if it all goes pear-shaped?
1. I know it's a waste of time. I come back from school, cry for hrs and then its time to sleep, so changing my mindset will do me the best.

5. I can but I fear that I might get rejected hah, also I am an EU national, so some universities count me as an EU applicant even though I've lived in the UK for 4 years. I could risk my student finance by going to university next year, as its still not clear what is going to happen to our finance due to Brexit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads