What do you think of Joaquin Phoenix? Watch

bloomer36
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I think the Joker was a good movie, and him a good actor, and thus deserving of the awards.

But I think he needs to relax with the vegan activism every time he's given an award. Rather than maybe talk about the movie and the issues of mental illness within it, for example, he has spoken about veganism. Every. Single. Time. He doesn't even talk about the movie he won the award for.

Rather, he insists and tries to pressure people to completely changing their personal lifestyles into never consuming anything derived from animals ever again. So, no essentials like milk, cheese, eggs, etc etc. That's a BIG ask.

I think if vegans really want to get people to start consuming less meat, they should start with promoting vegetarianism as opposed to veganism. They're not doing themselves any favours by expecting people to jump straight from meat-eating to plants.
awkwardshortguy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bloomer36)
Rather, he insists and tries to pressure people to completely changing their personal lifestyles into never consuming anything derived from animals ever again.
It's not just a 'personal choice' if that decision impacts the life of another living being. If it infringes on what she be their rights as our fellow animals.
So, no essentials like milk, cheese, eggs, etc etc. That's a BIG ask.
Nobody needs them, therefore they're not essentials.
I think if vegans really want to get people to start consuming less meat, they should start with promoting vegetarianism as opposed to veganism. They're not doing themselves any favours by expecting people to jump straight from meat-eating to plants.
That's literally the definition of vegetarianism right there :facepalm: And anyway we don't want people to consume less meat - we want people to consume no meat, or any other animal product whatsoever. We don't think it's acceptable that people simply do less of a bad thing - we think that it is only right that people stop doing the bad thing altogether. Just like you wouldn't suggest to a serial killer 'perhaps try murdering only 2 or 3 people a year', it is unthinkable for us to propose a person continue to promote the abuse of any animal they can avoid doing that to.
ArtmisKco
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I will always remain a meat eater. Any who I wish that he touched on mental health at least a little. It related to the film far more than veganism
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the Joker was a good movie, and him a good actor, and thus deserving of the awards.

But I think he needs to relax with the vegan activism every time he's given an award. Rather than maybe talk about the movie and the issues of mental illness within it, for example, he has spoken about veganism. Every. Single. Time. He doesn't even talk about the movie he won the award for.

Rather, he insists and tries to pressure people to completely changing their personal lifestyles into never consuming anything derived from animals ever again. So, no essentials like milk, cheese, eggs, etc etc. That's a BIG ask.

I think nothing. I don't even know who the hell she is.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
It's not just a 'personal choice' if that decision impacts the life of another living being. If it infringes on what she be their rights as our fellow animals.
That's literally the definition of vegetarianism right there :facepalm: And anyway we don't want people to consume less meat - we want people to consume no meat, or any other animal product whatsoever. We don't think it's acceptable that people simply do less of a bad thing - we think that it is only right that people stop doing the bad thing altogether. Just like you wouldn't suggest to a serial killer 'perhaps try murdering only 2 or 3 people a year', it is unthinkable for us to propose a person continue to promote the abuse of any animal they can avoid doing that to.
Pray tell why people should listen to this vegan quackery ?
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

It's obviously a major belief of his. He's entitled to use his platform to broadcast it. It's up to us if we want to listen
I agree though, mental health is a much more major issue than veganism
Joleee
Report 1 week ago
there is actually a big difference between vegetarianism and veganism. you have to actually read the label to find out whether there is no animal byproduct (in most cases there actually might be).

so Joaquin Phoenix should not express his opinion with you, is that correct?
Last edited by Joleee; 1 week ago
dettydettypig
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
I think nothing. I don't even know who the hell she is.
sorry but why are you here? this thread is about HIM

I think he's pretty talented -> very good antagonist in the film Gladiator
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not a fan of his acting or activism.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All I know is that he plays Joker in the new movie, and something about the Oscars. That's it
aioheuiawe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I find this incredibly ironic...
You are complaining about him ramming this damn veganism down people's throats, but you wouldn't mind people ramming damn mental health down people's throats? I accept that the film covers this a lot, yea sure, but mental health is rammed down people's throats a lot more than veganism is, and in my opinion, veganism is simply more important.

You won't agree with that, obviously, Phoenix believes it's important, and I believe it's more important. If they invite him to say something, he clearly feels he has the floor for the next few minutes, why not raise an issue of at least equal importance.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i get him confused with Javier Bardem ?
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He has a really cool name!
hotchocolate66
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Agreed
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And who, exactly, is 'we'?
aioheuiawe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
And who, exactly, is 'we'?
Uh, vegans I'm guessing? lol
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aioheuiawe)
Uh, vegans I'm guessing? lol
Well obviously...

It's the homogenous 'whole' where one can represent the entirety with a single pronoun that I take objection to.
aioheuiawe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well obviously...

It's the homogenous 'whole' where one can represent the entirety with a single pronoun that I take objection to.
How would you rather he said it? 'Myself, and other vegans who subscribe to the same opinion as myself'. Another alternative would be for him to say 'I', but he's speaking for a large consensus opinion, so it's fine. Veganism is a subscribed to opinion, therefore the use of 'we' is speaking of that group.

I think you're reading into that far too deeply lol, you just disagree with the opinion, not his use of pronoun.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aioheuiawe)
How would you rather he said it? 'Myself, and other vegans who subscribe to the same opinion as myself'. Another alternative would be for him to say 'I', but he's speaking for a large consensus opinion, so it's fine. Veganism is a subscribed to opinion, therefore the use of 'we' is speaking of that group.

I think you're reading into that far too deeply lol, you just disagree with the opinion, not his use of pronoun.
You're right that I disagree with the veganazi crap, yes.
aioheuiawe
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're right that I disagree with the veganazi crap, yes.
I mean we're totally off topic I guess, but what particularly do you not like about it? I understand that you enjoy meat, and perhaps you're part of the camp that think it's unsustainable and we couldn't survive without it. But it's really not true. Eggs, meat, they are all not required to live, and in a society where we should strive to be the best we possibly can, why not change that too?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (233)
67.15%
No (114)
32.85%

Watched Threads