Report 1 month ago
Never mind what I think, I'm just here to see you all squabble about veganism
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aioheuiawe)
I mean we're totally off topic I guess, but what particularly do you not like about it? I understand that you enjoy meat, and perhaps you're part of the camp that think it's unsustainable and we couldn't survive without it. But it's really not true. Eggs, meat, they are all not required to live, and in a society where we should strive to be the best we possibly can, why not change that too?
Something 'not being required to live' is not an argument that you can make. Who says it's 'not required'? You? People of your ilk? The Communist Party of China?

I, and only I, will decide what I want to eat, without being browbeaten or shamed by earnest activists who sincerely believe that they have a right to dictate to others due to their 'cause' being of the utmost importance. You don't bring people on board by being dictatorial.
goggleyed
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think hes cool now, he did go through a phase when I found him weird as hell though. If you remember the Letterman phase where he had a beard and behaved really lost. Some people say it was just an act or whatever but still, didn't like him around that time.

Its amazing what playing the Joker can do for you, he suddenly became a lot cooler after that.
karelina
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by goggleyed)
I think hes cool now, he did go through a phase when I found him weird as hell though. If you remember the Letterman phase where he had a beard and behaved really lost. Some people say it was just an act or whatever but still, didn't like him around that time.

Its amazing what playing the Joker can do for you, he suddenly became a lot cooler after that.
You don't like someone for having mental health problems?
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by goggleyed)

He was doing it for a spoof documentary I think. It was all an act, though something tells me he probably felt quite natural doing it
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just another irrelevant tosser preaching to a choir of increasingly irrelevant tossers stuck in a dinosaur industry.

They should just follow Ricky Gervais's advice.
Last edited by TCA2b; 1 month ago
aioheuiawe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Something 'not being required to live' is not an argument that you can make. Who says it's 'not required'? You? People of your ilk? The Communist Party of China?

I, and only I, will decide what I want to eat, without being browbeaten or shamed by earnest activists who sincerely believe that they have a right to dictate to others due to their 'cause' being of the utmost importance. You don't bring people on board by being dictatorial.
Idk why you're putting on this show of being bullied into veganism... i literally asked why you don't agree, and tbh I didn't get an answer. It's not a person who decided what isn't necessary btw, out bodies do. We do not require cow's milk to live - in fact more than 65% of adults globally are intolerant to it.

And as you alluded to, so I was right, you just really enjoy meat.

Edit: really not sure where the chinese commumist party popped up from
Last edited by aioheuiawe; 1 month ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I mean we're totally off topic I guess, but what particularly do you not like about it? I understand that you enjoy meat, and perhaps you're part of the camp that think it's unsustainable and we couldn't survive without it. But it's really not true. Eggs, meat, they are all not required to live, and in a society where we should strive to be the best we possibly can, why not change that too?
Is the internet required to live? How about electricity? Free healthcare?

Shall we ban them because as you say they aren't required to live?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Idk why you're putting on this show of being bullied into veganism... i literally asked why you don't agree, and tbh I didn't get an answer. It's not a person who decided what isn't necessary btw, out bodies do. We do not require cow's milk to live - in fact more than 65% of adults globally are intolerant to it.

And as you alluded to, so I was right, you just really enjoy meat.

Edit: really not sure where the chinese commumist party popped up from
*misses the point entirely

:facepalm:
aioheuiawe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
Is the internet required to live? How about electricity? Free healthcare?

Shall we ban them because as you say they aren't required to live?
My internet does not require barbaric practices.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My internet does not require barbaric practices.
Presumably you are using a laptop or phone to access the internet, powered using a lithium ion battery.

Lithium, cobalt and nickel mining is horrible for the environment. Cobalt is particularly terrible for the use of child labour to collect the toxic metal.
luc9999
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bloomer36)
they should start with promoting vegetarianism as opposed to veganism.
and if he promoted vegetarianism you'd be complaining about the same thing.
hjm40213550
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could be because EVERYONE knows about the film but animal welfare and climate change actually matter whereas Joker is just a movie.Though Ik it does have important plot lines on mental health, discussion on health and mental illnesses is a much more open and acceptable thing now whereas veganism and all that it encompasses is still very oppressed. Every time I want to speak about it, people just dismiss it really quickly for the next conversation and having someone who has such a big platform and is WILLING to use it for this is amazing, especially as so many people (rightly) champion mental health but so few people champion the logic and ethics of not murdering animals
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hjm40213550)
Could be because EVERYONE knows about the film but animal welfare and climate change actually matter whereas Joker is just a movie.Though Ik it does have important plot lines on mental health, discussion on health and mental illnesses is a much more open and acceptable thing now whereas veganism and all that it encompasses is still very oppressed. Every time I want to speak about it, people just dismiss it really quickly for the next conversation and having someone who has such a big platform and is WILLING to use it for this is amazing, especially as so many people (rightly) champion mental health but so few people champion the logic and ethics of not murdering animals
By definition you can never murder an animal.
hjm40213550
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
By definition you can never murder an animal.
Except that is literally what is happening, and is also a legally recognised action, so yes "by definition" you can.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Except that is literally what is happening, and is also a legally recognised action, so yes "by definition" you can.
Murder is the unlawful killing a people.
hjm40213550
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Murder is the unlawful killing a people.
Okay, I generally want to ask this (not just as an argument), but aren't humans scientifically classed as mammals, like most of the animals non-vegetarians and vegans eat? Also, you are actually just arguing about veganism here, not about Joaquin Phoenix's activism and your opinion on it. If you're going to try and argue your point, stay on topic.
SMEGGGY
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bloomer36)
I think the Joker was a good movie, and him a good actor, and thus deserving of the awards.

But I think he needs to relax with the vegan activism every time he's given an award. Rather than maybe talk about the movie and the issues of mental illness within it, for example, he has spoken about veganism. Every. Single. Time. He doesn't even talk about the movie he won the award for.

Rather, he insists and tries to pressure people to completely changing their personal lifestyles into never consuming anything derived from animals ever again. So, no essentials like milk, cheese, eggs, etc etc. That's a BIG ask.

I think if vegans really want to get people to start consuming less meat, they should start with promoting vegetarianism as opposed to veganism. They're not doing themselves any favours by expecting people to jump straight from meat-eating to plants.
Good actor but a tad weird
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Okay, I generally want to ask this (not just as an argument), but aren't humans scientifically classed as mammals, like most of the animals non-vegetarians and vegans eat? Also, you are actually just arguing about veganism here, not about Joaquin Phoenix's activism and your opinion on it. If you're going to try and argue your point, stay on topic.
Ok then, great actor couldn't give less of a **** about animals or his silly moral preaching.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
He's a good actor. I'm not fussed what else he does as long as it's legal, I just don't respect him as having any authority on how to live if you aren't a millionaire who can buy tons of overpriced plants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (270)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (273)
15.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
10.01%
Isolating with family (122)
7.02%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.49%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.34%
Loneliness (172)
9.9%
Financial worries (68)
3.91%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (158)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (154)
8.86%

Watched Threads