The Student Room Group

breaching confidentality

hi
I have just seen a picture on instagram of a friend who has posted and accidentally breached confidentiality. I intend to message them when im home (battery has just died) but I as a patient would be fuming it I found this out and I feel isn't a mistake that can accidentally happen...everything you upload should be checked carefully. Do you think I should report it as well or purely just message them about it. it also has hospital name too.
Reply 1
Be a decent human being and tell your friend to take it down and say you have no desire to report her.
agreed. people make mistakes, once you bring it up hopefully they'll see the error of their ways and thank you for bringing it up (before someone else reports them)
Reply 3
It depends on the exact nature of the picture.

If it contains very specific details, or is a very egregious example of confidentiality breach - for example a photo of a handover sheet, or a photo in theatre holding a placenta (an example we were given in our medical school), I might think that it needs reporting

However if it a more minor issue and seems like a more honest mistake - perhaps for example a selfie in the doctors room and a corner of the handover board is visible, I would be tempted to message them and advise them to take it down and be more careful in future. Of course if things like that keep happening you might need to think again about reporting.

Use your best judgement
Reply 4
Original post by krang88
Be a decent human being and tell your friend to take it down and say you have no desire to report her.

as in my post, I wouldn't report without speaking to someone first... I just wanted to know if it needs reporting or not since it had patient names (3-4 of them) and a hospital name.
Original post by JamesL101
agreed. people make mistakes, once you bring it up hopefully they'll see the error of their ways and thank you for bringing it up (before someone else reports them)

no acknowledgment of what was done was wrong...
Reply 5
Original post by JamesL101

pretty baffled at the reply I got back to be honest.
Original post by Anonymous

If you feel they aren't taking you seriously then definitely consider reporting them. If you've done your due diligence by giving them the heads up.
Reply 7
Original post by Rennaofravenwood
If you feel they aren't taking you seriously then definitely consider reporting them. If you've done your due diligence by giving them the heads up.

I will inbox you fi thats ok
I will inbox you fi thats ok

Sure, I'm not a med student though, it's just what sounds ethical to me from an external stand point.

Using patient names and hospital name is just a straight inappropriate use of social media really... so if they are giving you grief for pointing that out to them, then they probably need to have a refresh on their responsiblities in respect to confidentiality.
Original post by Ghotay
... or a photo in theatre holding a placenta (an example we were given in our medical school)...

How is that a breach of confidentiality?! 'Hey, that's my placenta!' :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending