Oscars viewers drop to all time low. Watch

Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51451904

Although the awards are still the most viewed awards show, viewership dropped to 23.6m (Approx) from 29.5m. This comes with a general decline of Tv viewing.

Why do we think this drop happened?
People not just watching tv? or people ditching these shows in particular.
TheStarboy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)

Although the awards are still the most viewed awards show, viewership dropped to 23.6m (Approx) from 29.5m. This comes with a general decline of Tv viewing.

Watching a bunch of self hypocritical celebrities (except for the Parasite director) patting themselves on the back while preaching from their high tower, tends to get boring after the first few years.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Probably more the fact people dont care to watch these toffee nosed tosspots patting themselves on the back constantly and whining about various issues.
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

1. People are fed up to the back teeth of celebs and their virtue signalling
2. The Oscars have very little integrity nowadays (though Parasite winning stuff has clawed some of its reputation back)
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Didn’t really watch it. Only saw small bits of it on Twitter
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Couldn’t care less.
Why do I want to watch a bunch of rich luvvies applauding themselves? Sharing out their 100k goody bags.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Amazingly I read the thread title on here "Oscars viewers drop to all time low" just as I heard Mark Dice say exactly the same words on his YouTube video. 😨
For a starter they are annoying anybody right leaning with all their political guff so that's roughly half the country. Plus amazingly for a group of people that bang on about the importance of diversity they all lean left and hate trump to a man (and woman)
Imagine an actor standing up at an Oscars and saying "F#ck Obama" during his presidency and being cheered by the whole room. Now imagine how many people wouldn't tune in the next year.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 2 weeks ago
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's 3+ hours long. People simply don't have the attention span for something that's dull as dishwater.

I don't buy the argument that people don't want to see the celebs patting themselves on the back... The clips of people receiving awards always get millions of views across social media. People are interested in that. It's just the platform of live TV in that fashion.

They want to know who won, but they can check that on Twitter in 30 seconds.

Viewing habits have changed. Live TV for anything other than sports is going to die.
Last edited by Drewski; 2 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn't even know where you can watch the Oscars.
PilboBaggins
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't think I've ever watched the Oscars on TV, I usually just watch the highlights.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (491)
59.59%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.22%
No- I want it (234)
28.4%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.8%

Watched Threads