AlexPTA
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey all,

I know this should be a very personalised debate regarding my electives, however, I do not know whatsoever what sort of law I want to practice in the future. I'm studying at Lincoln University and currently love Contract Law and Tort Law. I'm really excited for Criminal Law next year but am debating between my electives.

I'm currently considering: Police Powers, Medical Law and Intellectual Property Law. I can only choose one as I am choosing my only other elective to be Company law.

I'm generally just looking for advice on electives or experiences people have had in the electives mentioned above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thank you!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
MidgetFever
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thanks for the tag Harrys!

Unfortunately I'm quite a while away from taking my LPC yet, so I can't give you any first hand experience of any of the electives.

I'd probably tackle this in a common sense manner though, if this were me. Choose electives that you would enjoy, but as you're learning the practical aspects of that elective, make sure they represent the areas you genuinely want to be practicing in.

So for example if you wish to practice in a commercial and company setting, it makes little sense to me to take an elective on police powers, as it will only be relevant to a certain extent. (Unless you were perhaps edging towards Corporate crime). If I were to choose one of the three, I'd probably choose intellectual property as it ties in more closely with that area.

Though at the end of the day, that's a choice personal to me, as this should be for you. I hope someone will be able to give you a more informed response though.
Last edited by MidgetFever; 11 months ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Thanks for the tag Harrys!

Unfortunately I'm quite a while away from taking my LPC yet, so I can't give you any first hand experience of any of the electives.

I'd probably tackle this in a common sense manner though, if this were me. Choose electives that you would enjoy, but as you're learning the practical aspects of that elective, make sure they represent the areas you genuinely want to be practicing in.

So for example if you wish to practice in a commercial and company setting, it makes little sense to me to take an elective on police powers, as it will only be relevant to a certain extent. (Unless you were perhaps edging towards Corporate crime). If I were to choose one of the three, I'd probably choose intellectual property as it ties in more closely with that area.

Though at the end of the day, that's a choice personal to me, as this should be for you. I hope someone will be able to give you a more informed response though.
Oh I assumed OP was talking about undergrad Law at Lincoln uni :confused:

Thanks for your answer anyway
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Oh I assumed OP was talking about undergrad Law at Lincoln uni :confused:

Thanks for your answer anyway
Perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick, my mind always skips to the LPC whenever I hear 'elective' for some reason. :lol:

Edit - The more I read it the more it sounds as though it may be undergrad :ninja:
Last edited by MidgetFever; 11 months ago
AlexPTA
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick, my mind always skips to the LPC whenever I hear 'elective' for some reason. :lol:

Edit - The more I read it the more it sounds as though it may be undergrad :ninja:
Thank you for the advice above, I am currently an undergrad student in my first year, making my elective choices for my second year. Sorry for the confusion!
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
if i were you, i would talk to second year/third year law students at your uni and ask what they thought of their electives. i could tell you that everyone who took medical law at my uni absolutely hated it, but that doesn't mean it'll be the same at yours, know what i'm sayin? police powers sounds utterly boring tho and if you don't take it, doesn't mean you won't have a career in criminal law, if that's what you end up being into. i wouldn't stress too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (188)
57.85%
I don't have everything I need (137)
42.15%

Watched Threads