Jaunty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’ve recently gotten a tutor and will be going through chemistry and physics with them as well as French.

With the chemistry and physics what harder topics should we concentrate on first as ive been recommended to start with harder things first.

Any suggestions on this are welcome.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What education level are you at?
Jaunty
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
What education level are you at?
Thanks for answering. GCSE AQA foundation/combined.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Jaunty)
Thanks for answering. GCSE AQA foundation/combined.
Are you an external student (outside of school) or internal student (student in secondary school)? If an internal student, have you started the course?
Jaunty
Rep:
?
Are you an external student (outside of school) or internal student (student in secondary school)? If an internal student, have you started the course?
Oh yes I’ve been doing it since year 10 but haven’t focused on it at all 😣 hence why I’ve asked someone to help these next few months. I’ve been told to do hardest topics with them, but not sure what the hardest topics are.
Jaunty
Rep:
?
Currently at secondary school, year 11.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh yes I’ve been doing it since year 10 but haven’t focused on it at all 😣 hence why I’ve asked someone to help these next few months. I’ve been told to do hardest topics with them, but not sure what the hardest topics are.
Do a past paper before you meet them and go over the questions you didn’t understand with them and go over the topics you didn’t do well in that test. Repeat every time as it’ll give you time to practice and apply your knowledge while consolidating
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I’ve recently gotten a tutor and will be going through chemistry and physics with them as well as French.

With the chemistry and physics what harder topics should we concentrate on first as ive been recommended to start with harder things first.

Any suggestions on this are welcome.
Hi

I teach science, so hopefully can give you some useful ideas.

I actually disagree with focusing on harder things first- especially in chemistry. Chemistry in particular (although all sciences to an extent) builds on the content that comes before to take you to harder more complex concepts.

For example, if you don't understand atomic structure, you won't understand bonding, so you won't know what an ion is, and electrolysis will be a mystery to you. I'd suggest initially going through at least the first two chemistry topics (atomic structure and bonding) and filling in any gaps. You can then focus on harder topics that YOU struggle with! Go through the syllabus (with the tutor if you don't understand it) and RAG each topic- you can then focus on the red ones with the tutor, and the amber ones alone. Atomic structure is also on the physics paper as well, so it is doubly important!

For physics, it is a bit different but it's really important you have key skills like substituting into an equation, rearranging an equation and choosing the correct equation down.

For all 3 sciences, graph skills are really important too, so if you struggle with these, then that's an area worth working on as well.
Jaunty
Rep:
?
Do a past paper before you meet them and go over the questions you didn’t understand with them and go over the topics you didn’t do well in that test. Repeat every time as it’ll give you time to practice and apply your knowledge while consolidating
That is such a good idea! Thank you, I’ve printed off some past papers to do tonight before I meet them.
Jaunty
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Hi

I teach science, so hopefully can give you some useful ideas.

I actually disagree with focusing on harder things first- especially in chemistry. Chemistry in particular (although all sciences to an extent) builds on the content that comes before to take you to harder more complex concepts.

For example, if you don't understand atomic structure, you won't understand bonding, so you won't know what an ion is, and electrolysis will be a mystery to you. I'd suggest initially going through at least the first two chemistry topics (atomic structure and bonding) and filling in any gaps. You can then focus on harder topics that YOU struggle with! Go through the syllabus (with the tutor if you don't understand it) and RAG each topic- you can then focus on the red ones with the tutor, and the amber ones alone. Atomic structure is also on the physics paper as well, so it is doubly important!

For physics, it is a bit different but it's really important you have key skills like substituting into an equation, rearranging an equation and choosing the correct equation down.

For all 3 sciences, graph skills are really important too, so if you struggle with these, then that's an area worth working on as well.
Omg this is invaluable advice! I hope more students see it and can benefit from it too. Thank you so much 😊
Manahil01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How to attempt part b.i.)is it positive polarity at P?Attachment 886892
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel the grades you will receive this year will be fair?

Yes I feel the grades I will receive will be fair (40)
22.99%
No, I don't feel the grades I will receive will be fair (84)
48.28%
I'm unsure (50)
28.74%

Watched Threads