Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Got an email saying i plagiarised but I don’t remember plagiarising. What’s gonna happen now omg? Should I be scared? I’m in university, second year and this is my first time.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Got an email saying i plagiarised but I don’t remember plagiarising. What’s gonna happen now omg? Should I be scared? I’m in university, second year and this is my first time.
Find the submission they are on about.

Check if they are just investigating or if you have to meet with an academic conduct panel.

If you did not plagiarise but got a high turn-it-in score then you can bring the submission show it is fully & correctly cited and it will be no problem.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Depends on the severity of the case. For first instance minor academic misconduct, a university will usually require attendance of a course or completion of an online training thing (sometimes both).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mnot)
Find the submission they are on about.

Check if they are just investigating or if you have to meet with an academic conduct panel.

If you did not plagiarise but got a high turn-it-in score then you can bring the submission show it is fully & correctly cited and it will be no problem.
They said they don’t worry about the turnitin percentage but my tutor sent me an email of my assignment and a letter talking about the misconducts. Is the letter going to get sent him btw?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They said they don’t worry about the turnitin percentage but my tutor sent me an email of my assignment and a letter talking about the misconducts. Is the letter going to get sent him btw?
The reason they say not to worry about the percentage is because sometimes a fully referenced paper can show up at 30%. It won't usually be a very good paper, but it will be sufficiently referenced. Higher than that is usually a red flag, in my experience.

And, of course, not having to worry about percentages does not mean that you should not bother referencing. So the question is, has the email sent to you clarified where the alleged plagiarism took place?
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Read the letter, email your tutor and setup a meeting to discuss this.

Find the assignment (prior to meeting your tutor), and find out if in fact you plagiarised and to what extent.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gjd800)
Depends on the severity of the case. For first instance minor academic misconduct, a university will usually require attendance of a course or completion of an online training thing (sometimes both).
What’s the online training?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What’s the online training?
Usually some reading about why citations are required followed by a quiz-based thing asking about whether x or y needs citing/referencing
Anonymous #1
Thank you guys so much xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (339)
60.43%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.17%