Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Ok, so I’m in my second year of uni on a healthcare course and I just don’t know what to do with my life anymore.

I am mentally exhausted and if I’m perfectly honest my mental health has taken a nose dive since starting year 2. If it weren’t for my flat mates in first year I probably wouldn’t have lasted this long.

I kind of want to quit but I see that as being a failure and massively disappointing my parents who are always banging on about how it’s a good career and I’ll always get a job because there’s a shortage. I’ll have wasted two years of my life and wracked up a massive student debt for nothing.

I hate assignments (like everyone but I will often cry about them) - especially ones that are not of a scientific basis. Despite the course being science based - the majority of assignments are not and focus more upon communication and psychology of how to interact with patients (which I understand is important but I don’t see the need for writing multiple assignments on it).

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression, OCD and anxiety. I was prescribed Sertraline but it made me even more tired than I already am; my reactions slower and my hands tremble which was embarrassing but also made me think I had some kind of neurological disease. So, I stopped taking it.

I despise placement, I do 9-8 shifts with a 45 minute lunch break and my attendance must be 100%. Even if I’m ill, I have to make up the time. I caught a bacterial infection off a patient and they wouldn’t allow me to come in but still want the hours making up in my own time which I don’t have. They won’t let me make up the time when I am studying at uni even on the days I have don’t have lectures. My only option is to make it up on weekends or during the few holidays we get; which I don’t want to do because the time I have away from uni/placement is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment.

They know about my conditions and struggles but don’t care.

I have an assignment coming up that involves me critiquing a published research paper. I cried when I found out about it because I know I’m going to be **** at it.

My mark for my most recent exam was way lower than I expected and I’m still really upset about it. I emailed the tutor about it, and he said it was a good mark so he didn’t understand the fuss but that it was because I didn’t answer any of the long response anatomy questions. I genuinely answered every single question on this paper that I saw even ones I wasn’t sure about because if you’ve got time you might as well guess. I also don’t recall there being any long response anatomy questions on the paper.

The exam was electronic and he said that there was no fault with it. So, I’ve probably just made a massive fool out of myself. I don’t care that I can’t resist it, I just wanted to know that I wasn’t as stupid or dumb as I originally thought and the questions I could’ve answered weren’t there.

I just feel like my intelligence is the one thing that actually gives me worth or did because I seem to be losing it.

I don’t even know why I’m posting this - it sounds pathetic but I had to tell someone.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok, so I’m in my second year of uni on a healthcare course and I just don’t know what to do with my life anymore.

I am mentally exhausted and if I’m perfectly honest my mental health has taken a nose dive since starting year 2. If it weren’t for my flat mates in first year I probably wouldn’t have lasted this long.

I kind of want to quit but I see that as being a failure and massively disappointing my parents who are always banging on about how it’s a good career and I’ll always get a job because there’s a shortage. I’ll have wasted two years of my life and wracked up a massive student debt for nothing.

I hate assignments (like everyone but I will often cry about them) - especially ones that are not of a scientific basis. Despite the course being science based - the majority of assignments are not and focus more upon communication and psychology of how to interact with patients (which I understand is important but I don’t see the need for writing multiple assignments on it).

I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression, OCD and anxiety. I was prescribed Sertraline but it made me even more tired than I already am; my reactions slower and my hands tremble which was embarrassing but also made me think I had some kind of neurological disease. So, I stopped taking it.

I despise placement, I do 9-8 shifts with a 45 minute lunch break and my attendance must be 100%. Even if I’m ill, I have to make up the time. I caught a bacterial infection off a patient and they wouldn’t allow me to come in but still want the hours making up in my own time which I don’t have. They won’t let me make up the time when I am studying at uni even on the days I have don’t have lectures. My only option is to make it up on weekends or during the few holidays we get; which I don’t want to do because the time I have away from uni/placement is the only thing keeping me sane at the moment.

They know about my conditions and struggles but don’t care.

I have an assignment coming up that involves me critiquing a published research paper. I cried when I found out about it because I know I’m going to be **** at it.

My mark for my most recent exam was way lower than I expected and I’m still really upset about it. I emailed the tutor about it, and he said it was a good mark so he didn’t understand the fuss but that it was because I didn’t answer any of the long response anatomy questions. I genuinely answered every single question on this paper that I saw even ones I wasn’t sure about because if you’ve got time you might as well guess. I also don’t recall there being any long response anatomy questions on the paper.

The exam was electronic and he said that there was no fault with it. So, I’ve probably just made a massive fool out of myself. I don’t care that I can’t resist it, I just wanted to know that I wasn’t as stupid or dumb as I originally thought and the questions I could’ve answered weren’t there.

I just feel like my intelligence is the one thing that actually gives me worth or did because I seem to be losing it.

I don’t even know why I’m posting this - it sounds pathetic but I had to tell someone.
I quit a nursing course after I had to do a two year course before to get into it and it was one of the best decisions I ve made for my health's sake. If you live in England you d be able to get a part time science degree funded still and could get into a career with that. Maybe take some time out to figure out what you would like to do and look at working part time to help with your health.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree with claireestelle, taking time out might help you figure out where to go from here. Focus on your health and seeing what can be done to improve it. CFS and MH issues are very difficult to deal with, are you getting support from family? What about doctors?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
I agree with claireestelle, taking time out might help you figure out where to go from here. Focus on your health and seeing what can be done to improve it. CFS and MH issues are very difficult to deal with, are you getting support from family? What about doctors?
My family try to support me with it so that I can carry on...but they’ll be disappointed if I don’t carry on and I can’t live with that. Doctors didn’t want me to stop taking Sertraline but wouldn’t offer me alternative medicines that may have worked without horrible side effects.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My family try to support me with it so that I can carry on...but they’ll be disappointed if I don’t carry on and I can’t live with that. Doctors didn’t want me to stop taking Sertraline but wouldn’t offer me alternative medicines that may have worked without horrible side effects.
Don't study to prevent disappointment, this is your life, not theirs. If you don't want to study or it's causing more issues than it's worth, don't do it. Life's too short to spend it doing things you don't want to do or make you miserable/cause health issues. Did you explain that the sertraline isn't helpful? Speak to a different GP if your current one is unhelpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (348)
60.1%
Yes- I don't like it (31)
5.35%