The Student Room Group

What do you consider a proper adult to be?

Just wondering what characteristics, age and life goals do you feel like you need to achieve before you consider yourself and others to be proper adults....

x

Scroll to see replies

Anybody over the age of 18!!!!
When they get off TSR and get themselves a real job

Spoiler

Reply 3
idk i still feel like i'm 15. my bf is a "proper" adult tho. he brings money, he's responsible, he says no when i want another kitten/puppy, and he puts me in my place when needed 😂
Original post by 04MR17
When they get off TSR and get themselves a real job

Spoiler

What if your real job is being on TSR lol
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Just wondering what characteristics, age and life goals do you feel like you need to achieve before you consider yourself and others to be proper adults....

x

I believe we're all on our own 'journey'. Society places a lot of pressure on what you're supposed to achieve by a certain age so I believe it just depends on the person and whether they feel independent, fulfilling their own responsibilities to make them feel like an adult. I guess it does greatly tie into independence
Reply 6
Adults come in all sorts of variety. One key thing that truly makes someone an adult is their ability to accept responsibility, make independent decisions ( you can solve your own problems in an instinct driven manner without running away from your responsibilities) and become financially independent. It has nothing to do with age.
1) Sane human being over 18,
2) With the ability to understand that a shared kitchen/bathroom requires everyone to tidy up.
3) Automatically accepting personal responsibility for all of ones own decisions together with the direct consequences of - with ZERO excuses or attempts to apportion blame to other persons.
This includes: boozing, credit card debts, diet, gambling, illegal drugs, sexual adventures, choosing to date/continue a relationship with an entitled jerk/habitual criminal/noise nuisance/sordid player.
(edited 4 years ago)
Maturity. When you start behaving like an adult thats when you are one.
Original post by Ciel.
idk i still feel like i'm 15. my bf is a "proper" adult tho. he brings money, he's responsible, he says no when i want another kitten/puppy, and he puts me in my place when needed 😂

I still feel 15 too. :colondollar:

I am definitely not 15 years old.
Being self sufficient.
meh
Reply 12
Original post by Sabertooth
I still feel 15 too. :colondollar:

I am definitely not 15 years old.

it's so weird. 🙈
Original post by Ciel.
it's so weird. 🙈

Yes. You are. :colone:
Only after you turn 18 if you have achieved 100% independence, regardless of extra help offered or received from loved ones.
What if your real job is being on TSR lol

Don't be silly, people don't work for TSR :laugh:
:noway:
Reply 16
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Yes. You are. :colone:

at least i'm not an a$$hole. 🙈

x

Imo dont consider 18 year olds to be adults mentally, financially or socially, would put it around 21-25
Reply 18
18. i don't think it's about characteristics and achieving goals. doubtful that anyone would say a 30 year old who still lives with their parents rent-free and never held down a job and doesn't want a job wasn't an adult; it's just that they may be acting like a child.
21 and over

Quick Reply

Latest