naomi36
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I am currently in the process of applying for a PhD public history at qub Belfast. I am very nervous. I was wondering if anyone could let me know the set up of the interview, how many people, how long etc?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Such a weirdly specific question! I can't give specific advice for that university/topic and to be frank, I doubt many could but...

Generally, a PhD interview will ask about your interests and try to determine why you want to do research and why that topic. I am taking a guess, but I reckon academic interviews, at least for PhD's, are a bit less formal than ones for industry. Nothing to be nervous about - just be yourself.

Remember that you will be talking to someone who is actually interested in the same topic that you are, so you can actually talk freely and have an interesting discussion. This is in contrast to talking to friends who often won't give a **** - so you may acutally enjoy the experience as well!
Last edited by 0le; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (378)
67.14%
No (185)
32.86%

Watched Threads