Does both Oxford and Cambridge accept BTECs?

Watch
thatcollegegirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya, so thinking about Universities and such. I'd like to do a History degree. I know there's some kind of stigma or dispute between btecs and A Levels. Currently in year 12 studying A Levels in History and Politics but my third subject is BTEC Applied Law. Would this be an issue for either Oxford or Cambridge?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Yes they don't accept BTEC. You should have done A level law instead.
Paralove
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Certainly not Cambridge - BTEC is not considered suitable preparation for the academic nature of their courses.

I would also check this with other top unis, not just Oxbridge as it can vary.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
Hiya, so thinking about Universities and such. I'd like to do a History degree. I know there's some kind of stigma or dispute between btecs and A Levels. Currently in year 12 studying A Levels in History and Politics but my third subject is BTEC Applied Law. Would this be an issue for either Oxford or Cambridge?
BTECs aren't usually accepted as a third A level, due to Oxbridge courses being more academic than vocational in nature. There are certain circumstances where a BTEC could be considered, but these are few and far between and you'd need to check with an Admission's Tutor, rather than TSR.

Was A level law available at your college/school?
Doones
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
So you have 2 A-levels plus a BTEC. I'd advise checking directly with a couple of colleges.

Cambridge says (my bold):
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....e-requirements
VCE A Levels, Applied A Levels, GNVQs and BTECs don’t provide an appropriate preparation for most Cambridge courses, where the emphasis is more academic than vocational. As such, these qualifications can’t, unless otherwise stated, be used to replace the required or highly desirable A Level subjects listed for each course.
However, if any required/highly desirable subjects are covered, a six unit VCE or Applied A Level could be taken instead of a third A Level or as an additional fourth broadening subject. This combination of A Levels and VCE or other qualifications may be acceptable for some courses.
Potential applicants taking these qualifications are advised to seek further advice from a College Admissions Tutor as early as possible.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Well... it's a bit more finessed than that for some courses. For example for Engineering Cambridge will accept a BTEC, but also requires A-level Maths too. And see above...
Doones
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Paralove)
Certainly not Cambridge - BTEC is not considered suitable preparation for the academic nature of their courses.

I would also check this with other top unis, not just Oxbridge as it can vary.
(Original post by Reality Check)
BTECs aren't usually accepted as a third A level, due to Oxbridge courses being more academic than vocational in nature. There are certain circumstances where a BTEC could be considered, but these are few and far between and you'd need to check with an Admission's Tutor, rather than TSR.

Was A level law available at your college/school?
Latest entry requirements indicate an Applied A-level, or similar *may* be ok as a 3rd subject. See my reply above
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doones)
Latest entry requirements indicate an Applied A-level, or similar *may* be ok as a 3rd subject. See my reply above
You'll know this: I'm sure that Cambridge used to accept a BTEC as a substitute for a third A level in a lot of courses. Having checked the entry requirements page today, it seems to have changed to be much more lukewarm on BTEC and other applied subjects. Am I imagining this?
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
(Original post by Anonymous)
I didn't initially choose BTEC Law. It was my best option at that point. I joined it in October after struggling with A Level Maths and how it was. I hated it. I was told it was too late but was relieved when I managed to get changed to the BTEC Law course. The reason it was that course was mainly because it had space and there wasn't too much for me to catch up on. Thank you for the advice and answers though.
Doones
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
You'll know this: I'm sure that Cambridge used to accept a BTEC as a substitute for a third A level in a lot of courses. Having checked the entry requirements page today, it seems to have changed to be much more lukewarm on BTEC and other applied subjects. Am I imagining this?
Not sure TBH.

Best bet probably is for thatcollegegirl to check direct with a few Cambridge Colleges, but to be prepared for a negative response...
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
Not sure TBH.

Best bet probably is for thatcollegegirl to check direct with a few Cambridge Colleges, but to be prepared for a negative response...
Thank you. It won't be too heartbreaking in the sense that it's mainly keeping an open mind of what I can do. I'd like to go to local universities to me like Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester and Sussex. Although Oxbridge would be beyond amazing. King's College London is probably my top aspiration but I thought it would be good to check if I could apply to Oxbridge.
Doones
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you. It won't be too heartbreaking in the sense that it's mainly keeping an open mind of what I can do. I'd like to go to local universities to me like Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester and Sussex. Although Oxbridge would be beyond amazing. King's College London is probably my top aspiration but I thought it would be good to check if I could apply to Oxbridge.
I know nothing about History courses but I hear Sussex is well regarded.

You could have a look at the unis in this ranking *as rough guidance* for some inspiration. I've filtered it just for the SouthEast (hence why Cambridge is excluded from this list).

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ory/south-east
Name:  Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 17.12.13.png
Views: 126
Size:  222.4 KB

But definitely visit and do your own research
Ðeggs
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I didn't initially choose BTEC Law. It was my best option at that point. I joined it in October after struggling with A Level Maths and how it was. I hated it. I was told it was too late but was relieved when I managed to get changed to the BTEC Law course. The reason it was that course was mainly because it had space and there wasn't too much for me to catch up on. Thank you for the advice and answers though.
Struggling with a level maths? Having a BTEC makes your application much less competitive.
Doones
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Struggling with a level maths? Having a BTEC makes your application much less competitive.
OP wants to read History, not Maths.

Only a third of Cambridge Historians have A-level Maths.
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
OP wants to read History, not Maths.

Only a third of Cambridge Historians have A-level Maths.
I actually achieved a 9 at GCSE and have been doing well at A Level History and Politics so I thought they might work in my favour
Ðeggs
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I actually achieved a 9 at GCSE and have been doing well at A Level History and Politics so I thought they might work in my favour
Still doing maths is much more impressive than a BTEC.
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
Still doing maths is much more impressive than a BTEC.
I know but I would have suffered academically in all my subjects if I had continued due to the stress it caused
Ðeggs
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I know but I would have suffered academically in all my subjects if I had continued due to the stress it caused
But that’s the working life at Oxbridge on a daily basis tbh
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
But that’s the working life at Oxbridge on a daily basis tbh
Out of curiosity, what did you study at A Level and further?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (116)
34.32%
Yes - a trusted person (92)
27.22%
No (89)
26.33%
I'm not sure (41)
12.13%

Watched Threads