The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Josephine butler

It looks a little run down? I got allocated there today via email and I’m not so sure I like it... are there any good things about this college?
I got this college too!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello, and congrats on getting allocated to Butler!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm a first year student at Butler, and I can safely say that you have got into one of the best Colleges in Durham.
Firstly, in respect to it looking "Run Down", Butler is currently the Youngest college in Durham. All of the rooms, and facilities are under 15 years old, so it's rather new in that regard. We have the biggest Bar in Durham, which constantly hosts events, bands and socials.

The best part about Butler is the MASSIVE variety of different Societies in college. I'm personally a member of 6 different societies within Butler, so I can answer any questions about the extra-curricular experience.

Trust me, you've really lucked out here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :smile:
Original post by znedd1
Hello, and congrats on getting allocated to Butler!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm a first year student at Butler, and I can safely say that you have got into one of the best Colleges in Durham.
Firstly, in respect to it looking "Run Down", Butler is currently the Youngest college in Durham. All of the rooms, and facilities are under 15 years old, so it's rather new in that regard. We have the biggest Bar in Durham, which constantly hosts events, bands and socials.

The best part about Butler is the MASSIVE variety of different Societies in college. I'm personally a member of 6 different societies within Butler, so I can answer any questions about the extra-curricular experience.

Trust me, you've really lucked out here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! :smile:

Hi there!
What are you studying?
Is this college close to campus? And what sort of prices are they ranging from weekly?
What sort is societies are at Butler and what is your favourite part of Butler:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by gracewakefieldd
Hi there!
What are you studying?
Is this college close to campus? And what sort of prices are they ranging from weekly?
What sort is societies are at Butler and what is your favourite part of Butler:smile:

Hi!

I am a Natural Sciences student, specifically studying Maths and Computer Science.

In terms of location, Butler is about a 10 minute walk from the Science Site (Where most lectures and tutorials are usually held). From the centre of town, it's about a 20 minute walk. Overall, it's not the most central college, but not unreasonably far from anything. There's also a bus which costs £1 for the day, which runs from Butler to the science site, and the centre of town.
In terms of pricing, all of Durham's colleges have standardised accommodation costs. However, the one advantage of Butler is that all the rooms are exactly the same (Self Catered, en-suite, single bed, not shared). This combination makes it one of the most affordable colleges in Durham IMO, as catered colleges are way overpriced. Day-to-day costs are very affordable. Our JCR levy is comparatively lower than other hill colleges. Our formals are a reasonable price considering we're not paying for food in the first place.

In terms of the societies, there is everything ranging from sports (football, hockey, rugby, darts, pool, badminton, tennis, squash, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse and rowing, just off the top of my head!), musical societies like our Jazz band, Soul Band, and Folk band. We have more weird, niche ones, like Baking Soc, Stargazing soc, and Meme Soc, as well as some more relaxing societies like Tabletop Games Society, or Gaming society. There are also committees if you want to contribute to the college (I personally help out with Tech Comm, who helps to set up for bands in the bar, and do lighting/sound for performances).

Anyway. My favourite part of Butler? That's actually quite a tricky one :confused::confused::confused:
Probably, the very get-up-and-go #GetInvolved attitude that everyone seems to have here. A massive amount of people here take part in societies etc, and come on the socials and events. It's really nice just to have such a great, inclusive group of people here.
Original post by znedd1
Hi!

I am a Natural Sciences student, specifically studying Maths and Computer Science.

In terms of location, Butler is about a 10 minute walk from the Science Site (Where most lectures and tutorials are usually held). From the centre of town, it's about a 20 minute walk. Overall, it's not the most central college, but not unreasonably far from anything. There's also a bus which costs £1 for the day, which runs from Butler to the science site, and the centre of town.
In terms of pricing, all of Durham's colleges have standardised accommodation costs. However, the one advantage of Butler is that all the rooms are exactly the same (Self Catered, en-suite, single bed, not shared). This combination makes it one of the most affordable colleges in Durham IMO, as catered colleges are way overpriced. Day-to-day costs are very affordable. Our JCR levy is comparatively lower than other hill colleges. Our formals are a reasonable price considering we're not paying for food in the first place.

In terms of the societies, there is everything ranging from sports (football, hockey, rugby, darts, pool, badminton, tennis, squash, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse and rowing, just off the top of my head!), musical societies like our Jazz band, Soul Band, and Folk band. We have more weird, niche ones, like Baking Soc, Stargazing soc, and Meme Soc, as well as some more relaxing societies like Tabletop Games Society, or Gaming society. There are also committees if you want to contribute to the college (I personally help out with Tech Comm, who helps to set up for bands in the bar, and do lighting/sound for performances).

Anyway. My favourite part of Butler? That's actually quite a tricky one :confused::confused::confused:
Probably, the very get-up-and-go #GetInvolved attitude that everyone seems to have here. A massive amount of people here take part in societies etc, and come on the socials and events. It's really nice just to have such a great, inclusive group of people here.

Thanks so much for you answers! It’s all become very real now and I’m struggling for what I should pick as my firm. Butler seems very nice, and thanks for your honest answers:smile:
Really appreciate it!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest