M583 - Use of the Whip in British Horse Racing Motion 2019 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
M583 - Use of the Whip in British Horse Racing Motion 2019, Rt Hon Abucha3
This House notes that racehorses are routinely beaten with a whip under rules set by the industry's regulatory body, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), which sanctions this violent treatment in order that jockeys may, as it is claimed, encourage racehorses to improve their chances of winning, even though evidence indicates that whipping for this purpose is counter-productive.

This House further notes that there were more than 400 breaches of the rules in 2019, mostly for whipping racehorses more than the permitted number of strikes, and notes that no other animal can be legally beaten in such circumstances and that a 2018 YouGov poll found that, of those who expressed an opinion, 83% of respondents oppose racehorses being whipped.

This House recognises that, for genuine purposes of safety where other methods have failed to bring a horse under control, a whip can be legitimately employed, and calls on the Department for Culture, Media and Sport and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs to ensure that the BHA's rules are amended to prohibit use of the whip for encouragement or for equivalent reasons.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can we just reform the greens so this guy can stop pretending to be a Conservative?
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh for the love of all that's holy.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
I think I need to bring back one of my old hypocrisy bills, one that bans owning pets and makes veganism compulsory coz muh animal rights #FriendsNotFood
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thank the Honourable Member for raising the issue, and should the House vote in favour of the motion, will seek to put the request into effect in my role as Culture Secretary.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I think I need to bring back one of my old hypocrisy bills, one that bans owning pets and makes veganism compulsory coz muh animal rights #FriendsNotFood
Of course I would be more than happy to support. Animals are more than just our friends, they're our family :love:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I thank the Honourable Member for raising the issue, and should the House vote in favour of the motion, will seek to put the request into effect in my role as Culture Secretary.
Why stop here, horses die! Ban racing all together, and they get hurt in other equestrian disciplines too so ban them too! Ban all the things!
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why stop here, horses die! Ban racing all together, and they get hurt in other equestrian disciplines too so ban them too! Ban all the things!
I wouldn't ban horse racing altogether though am in two minds about whether the Grand National should continue in its present form. Not doing so would upset Michael O'Leary, whose horses have won three times (?) in recent years.
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm not sure that whipping any animal is the way to go, but if it was necessary to avoid a horse wandering into danger or the equivalent if it went out of control (not that I think it'd ever have to) then it'd be necessary.
I'm probably going to Abstain though, we don't whip others animals - not to mention horse racing being less than ethical at times.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I regret to inform my right honourable friend that I shall be voting against this motion.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I be voting against this motion. I do think more needs to be done about horse safety/welfare in racing but the whip impact is minimal.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Can we just reform the greens so this guy can stop pretending to be a Conservative?
Unsure why my commitment to the Conservative Party is being questioned. I have never suggested anything radical; a lot of environmental beliefs are actually in line with a lot of the work Gove did whilst at DEFRA.

I am also Shadow Environment Secretary, so this is my brief. The legislation brought forward on eggs was part of a manifesto commitment, which all TSR Conservative MPs stood on.

With regards to whipping of racing horses, it was based on an article I read the other day, and felt the matter warranted debate. You will notice I did not request for this to be submitted on behalf of the party, but as a private motion. I believe in animal welfare and looking after the animals on this planet, there is nothing wrong with that.

I would certainly never advocate veganism (by God I cannot stand some vegans), or should we ban horse racing or the slaughter of animals. I am just after a society where we conduct ourselves with animals in a more humane manner.
abucha3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I thank the Honourable Member for his response, and commitment to a response from the Government if passed in Division.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm a horse in Chinese zodiac thing and I like being whipped.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by abucha3)
Unsure why my commitment to the Conservative Party is being questioned. I have never suggested anything radical; a lot of environmental beliefs are actually in line with a lot of the work Gove did whilst at DEFRA.
Just for the record, I never denied your commitment to the party. Of course as a party of 17 MPs we will have differing views, but I will say it's great to see you taking a more active role in producing items and debating them. I may not particularly agree with them but I hope to see them continue coming.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I support this motion

(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
I'm a horse in Chinese zodiac thing and I like being whipped.
Quality debate contribution there Baron. 10/10.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
"even though evidence indicates that whipping for this purpose is counter-productive"

Citation please. I'm unsure so really need this evidence and info on long term effects.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
No, I don't think the use of a horse whip on horses is a great problem.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I don't think I know enough about this to really comment. I shall ask my friend who has spent a lot of time teaching horseriding what she thinks to this.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Nay; the whip is foam padded and can only be used twice in a race.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (200)
67.34%
No (97)
32.66%

Watched Threads