irishninja
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, so one of the lecturers for a module I'm studying keeps using markers that are running dry with no sign of replacing them.

I bought some with the intention of leaving them at his desk come the lecture tomorrow because I am getting tired of struggling to read the board, as are the rest of my classmates.

I was planning on attaching a note saying;
For "lecturers name",
Please don't lose these
Cheers / you're welcome,
Your "module name" class

I actually told another student I was tempted to do this, so probably people will find out it was me or whatever

Just want to make sure it's not taken as cheeky, and they see the humour in it

(Seriously though, we need him to use new markers)
biran4454
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If I were the teacher, I wouldn't take offence from that. I think you should do it, and if he does take offence, just quietly mention to him that you didn't mean offence, and that you were just struggling to read the writing on the board. I'm pretty sure he won't take offence from that. Being a teacher, he would probably have had to deal with some fairly troublesome students in his past, and since all you're doing is giving him a box of markers, I'm fairly sure he'll be fine.

EDIT: If you do though, please tell me of the results
Last edited by biran4454; 2 weeks ago
irishninja
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by biran4454)
If I were the teacher, I wouldn't take offence from that. I think you should do it, and if he does take offence, just quietly mention to him that you didn't mean offence, and that you were just struggling to read the writing on the board. I'm pretty sure he won't take offence from that. Being a teacher, he would probably have had to deal with some fairly troublesome students in his past, and since all you're doing is giving him a box of markers, I'm fairly sure he'll be fine.

What are your thoughts as I intend on wording it?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by irishninja)
Hi, so one of the lecturers for a module I'm studying keeps using markers that are running dry with no sign of replacing them.

I bought some with the intention of leaving them at his desk come the lecture tomorrow because I am getting tired of struggling to read the board, as are the rest of my classmates.

For "lecturers name",
Please don't lose these
Cheers / you're welcome,
Your "module name" class

I actually told another student I was tempted to do this, so probably people will find out it was me or whatever

It depends on how well you know this lecturer as to whether they would take it well or not. Unless the lecturer had said out loud that they want new markers, I'd suggest not putting the 'please don't lose these/you're welcome' part - it just sounds a bit arrogant. Why not just put the new markers out before the lecture? Do they really need a note attached?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey,

I agree with both of the above.

If you want to add a note, just something like:
"Your old markers were running dry! Here's some new ones!"
That comes off more as a gift and I'm sure they'll be appreciative towards something like that. It's a nice thing to do. They didn't have to go out of their way - and it's only small and subtle.

Joshua
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Amelia_2468)
Hi, I'm a final year psychology undergraduate student, and I'm collecting participants to take part in my online questionnaire, for my final year dissertation. My online questionnaire sets out to test the relationship between social media usage,social media engagement, levels of self-esteem, levels of trait-anxiety and attitudes towards body image. If you (or anyone you know) are willing to participate, please do by using the link below:

https://stmarys.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/...-usage-socia-7

Thank you,

Amelia

(P.S. If you are also conducting an online study or if you have any questions, I will be happy to participate)
What does this have to do with the question the OP asked.

Please don't just dump your requests willy-nilly into other people's threads. It's rude and thoughtless.
Amelia_2468
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Hi, I'm a final year psychology undergraduate student, and I'm collecting participants to take part in my online questionnaire, for my final year dissertation. My online questionnaire sets out to test the relationship between social media usage,social media engagement, levels of self-esteem, levels of trait-anxiety and attitudes towards body image. If you (or anyone you know) are willing to participate, please do by using the link below:

Thank you,

Amelia

(P.S. If you are also conducting an online study or if you have any questions, I will be happy to participate)
Amelia_2468
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
It depends on how well you know this lecturer as to whether they would take it well or not. Unless the lecturer had said out loud that they want new markers, I'd suggest not putting the 'please don't lose these/you're welcome' part - it just sounds a bit arrogant. Why not just put the new markers out before the lecture? Do they really need a note attached?

Thank you,

Amelia

Amelia_2468
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hey,

I agree with both of the above.

If you want to add a note, just something like:
"Your old markers were running dry! Here's some new ones!"
That comes off more as a gift and I'm sure they'll be appreciative towards something like that. It's a nice thing to do. They didn't have to go out of their way - and it's only small and subtle.

Joshua

Thank you,

Amelia

Amelia_2468
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
What does this have to do with the question the OP asked.

Please don't just dump your requests willy-nilly into other people's threads. It's rude and thoughtless.
I'm sorry if I have offended you. It's just one way I could potentially collect participants
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm sorry if I have offended you. It's just one way I could potentially collect participants
It's against TSR rules to repeatedly make duplicate posts within or across forums. Start your own thread in the Student surveys and research forum if you want to advertise for participants.
Amelia_2468
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
It's against TSR rules to repeatedly make duplicate posts within or across forums. Start your own thread in the Student surveys and research forum if you want to advertise for participants.
Sorry, I didn't know that. Thank you for your help
biran4454
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thank you,

Amelia

Please don't advertise on other people's threads.
MajaD
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by irishninja)

For "lecturers name",
Please don't lose these
Cheers / you're welcome,
Your "module name" class

How about simply stating reality as it is: "I don't know about others but I'm struggling to read from the board. The markers are feint. I found some new ones... (A smile and eye contact will seal the deal)
Amelia_2468
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Please don't advertise on other people's threads.
I know someone has already told me. But thank you, for letting know again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?