The Student Room Group

English Lit - terminology for A Level

My teacher hasn't taught me any new terminology extending from GCSE to the new A Level e.g. things like anaphora et cetera… this has worried me a lot.
For the new A-levels do I need to know all the fancy terms and be able to apply them, as the mark scheme doesn't specify…?
Thanks!
Don't know if this applies to all exam boards or if its the board your doing but I do AQA and they base their marking off 5 assessment objectives
AO1 - clarity of the written argument
AO2 - how methods are used, eg language form and structure and their effects
AO3 - historical context that could have influenced the writer
AO4 - how historical context has changed/stayed the same/readers opinions have changed/stayed the same in the texts your writing about
AO5 - whether you've actually answered the question or not

AO4 and AO3 are hard to separate and you can't really do one without the other. As for a-level terminology, the exam board doesn't really care about you using super fancy terminology as long as your using accurate terminology eg not calling a noun a verb and can explain why this language choice was so important to crafting the meaning within the text
Original post by codiethompson
Don't know if this applies to all exam boards or if its the board your doing but I do AQA and they base their marking off 5 assessment objectives
AO1 - clarity of the written argument
AO2 - how methods are used, eg language form and structure and their effects
AO3 - historical context that could have influenced the writer
AO4 - how historical context has changed/stayed the same/readers opinions have changed/stayed the same in the texts your writing about
AO5 - whether you've actually answered the question or not

AO4 and AO3 are hard to separate and you can't really do one without the other. As for a-level terminology, the exam board doesn't really care about you using super fancy terminology as long as your using accurate terminology eg not calling a noun a verb and can explain why this language choice was so important to crafting the meaning within the text

this is so helpful for me - I've struggled on how to do AO4.the idea of a historicists study was so confusing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending