elliec67
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I have been really struggling in triple science, especially Chemistry. I feel like I haven't been taking in any extra content and i'm getting 3s in my Chemistry and 5s and 6s in Physics and Biology. Do you think it's too late to switch? I'm not sure if my teachers have entered me yet
Gkogkou
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
When I did triple since I was particularly good at biology and chemistry however I could never get above a 2 in physics so my teachers offered me this paper that's called Foundation higher I think which basically means you will be sitting the triple content for the subjects you are good at and taking a foundation one for the one you are struggling , however you wouldn't be able to get higher than a 5 but its much more easier and way less stressful
ovetsss
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
i say you revise well enough until like march/april doing past papers etc, if ur confident do triple if not go combined
In the Nov mocks i did Triple and got 2 6s and a 5(with no revision) and for the feb mocks i did combined papers with revision and it was so much easier
elliec67
Rep:
?
Thanks for the help.
I'm just not sure when the teachers will enter us for the exams, I've dropped down to combined before then regretted it, so I went back up to triple and now I'm regretting going back up. I'm being so indecisive!
ovetsss
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I also went down as i didn't start revision and took the lazy route but if ur going to do A level sciences triple can help. Personally i would ask the teachers, but if you do change ur mind mid april im sure they can ask aqa to change you lol

JUST MAKE SURE NOT TO REGRET YOUR DECISION IN THE END!!!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by elliec67)
Thanks for the help.
I'm just not sure when the teachers will enter us for the exams, I've dropped down to combined before then regretted it, so I went back up to triple and now I'm regretting going back up. I'm being so indecisive!
Given you'll have a third less content to cover in combined, I'd go down to that. There's no real benefit to doing triple if you think there's a chance that you might bomb Chemistry. Better to get two decent GCSE grades in Science via Combined imho.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
At the end of the day, there is no specific need to do triple science - it is not required to do an A-level in any (or indeed all) of the sciences, and combined science is sufficient background for any STEM degree provided you take any required A-level subjects. The only context in which universities or employers care about GCSEs (if ever) is in your overall grade profile and your grades in English language and maths. If you aren't doing well in triple science, just do combined
elliec67
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to speak to my head of science department about it
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Talk to someone soon. The entry deadline is next week so (assuming you're on half term next week) the deadline is Friday.
elliec67
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Compost)
Talk to someone soon. The entry deadline is next week so (assuming you're on half term next week) the deadline is Friday.
Omg thanks for telling me! I was going to speak to someone on the 27th as thats when I have meeting with the head of science
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Compost)
As usual, a bloody good point!
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by elliec67)
Omg thanks for telling me! I was going to speak to someone on the 27th as thats when I have meeting with the head of science
The entry deadline is 21 February but you can make entries by then and get a full refund if you withdraw them in Feb/March. So, if it's undecided, the best option might be to enter you for everything now and then make a decision soonish and withdraw what you're not doing. (Eventually the exam board will send a warning message saying it's not possible to do both separate Sciences and Combined but that's not likely to happen before April).
elliec67
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've emailed my head of science about switching
ovetsss
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I need advice as well, i want to do Chemistry and Biology for A levels, should i do Triple? Or is there no need?
Also what if i want to change my mind in march etc?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ovetsss)
I need advice as well, i want to do Chemistry and Biology for A levels, should i do Triple? Or is there no need?
Also what if i want to change my mind in march etc?
If you want to do Science A levels then it would be better to do separate Sciences, but if you're only doing Combined at this stage of Y11 it would be better to stick with that,. If you're in Y11 then it will cost the school if you change after half term (£100-150 - depending on which way you go and which exam board it is)
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm confused about how combined works. Do you learn less content and are tested on more or learn less content and tested on the same amount as separate sciences
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PizzaMan2989)
I'm confused about how combined works. Do you learn less content and are tested on more or learn less content and tested on the same amount as separate sciences
Combined Science is a double GCSE containing equal proportions of all 3 Sciences (so 2/3 of a GCSE in each in terms of content). Separates Sciences is 3 separate GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The total exam time is shorter for Combined and you have only learnt 2/3 as much stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills ā€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (265)
60.78%
Yes- I don't like it (21)
4.82%
No- I want it (117)
26.83%
No- I don't want it (33)