Kavya30
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello!
I am in my first year and I am doing economics and finance at the University of Manchester. My first semester went pretty okayish but I am having problems with one of my second-semester module, Introduction to Mathematical Economics. I thought I would be able to do this and should do this because I want a career in Investment Banking and that this module is appealing for employers. However, I am finding it extremely difficult to understand it and I am considering to drop it and take up the only available option, Introduction to Developmental Studies which I am assuming has no connection to banking. So will it really matter if I drop Mathematical Economics and probably focus on taking up Developmental studies for the future too?
My other courses are
Introductory Management Accounting
Financial Decision Making
Advanced Statistics
Microeconomics 2
Macroeconomics 2
I really need help!
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kavya30)
Hello!
I am in my first year and I am doing economics and finance at the University of Manchester. My first semester went pretty okayish but I am having problems with one of my second-semester module, Introduction to Mathematical Economics. I thought I would be able to do this and should do this because I want a career in Investment Banking and that this module is appealing for employers. However, I am finding it extremely difficult to understand it and I am considering to drop it and take up the only available option, Introduction to Developmental Studies which I am assuming has no connection to banking. So will it really matter if I drop Mathematical Economics and probably focus on taking up Developmental studies for the future too?
My other courses are
Introductory Management Accounting
Financial Decision Making
Advanced Statistics
Microeconomics 2
Macroeconomics 2
I really need help!
Contact peer support scheme
http://www.peersupport.manchester.ac.uk/contact-us/
Also speak to peers in BA Econ society.
https://www.socialsciences.mancheste...ics-societies/

I expect you go for grade in the event something is causing real trouble.
Kavya30
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for the help! But I’m a committee member of the BAEcon Society 😅. Nevertheless, I have resolved the issue and I guess I just got super anxious and panickedThanks again!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Investment bankers don't do much if any maths beyond GCSE level (if even that) generally. Quantitative finance analysts do, but that's a whole other job...You can go into investment banking with any degree - there are investment bankers who haven't done any maths since GCSE level anyway (e.g. someone who did a classics degree for example. So for your purposes it won't make a difference. Investment bankers certainly aren't using real analysis on the regular!

If you wanted to do a PhD in economics then your module choice might matter, and mathematical modules will probably be important generally (and especially for any projects in economic theory or probably just microeconomics generally). For a PhD especially the topics in that module (which are basically introductory real analysis) are often considered important - all the "top" economics departments in the US for example will probably expect you to have taken some real analysis before starting, and will usually require you do more real analysis in the PhD. UK PhDs are slightly different structured so it would depend on the individual project.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.55%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.41%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.31%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (216)
46.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.25%

Watched Threads