The Student Room Group

Is this rape?

I was watching Law and Order SVU and I came across an interesting scenario; by the end of it comment your opinion on whether or not you would classify this as rape.

In the story, a student is applying to colleges. His mother decides to seduce the head of admissions at one of the prestigious universities her son has applied to ( for a bit of background she is also married ) in the hopes of persuading the head of admissions to accept her son.

The 'head of admissions' at this school is, however, an imposter who actually works as a security guard at the University, he conned the mother into thinking he was the head of admissions so that she would be more inclined to sleep with him as he knows some parents might just go down such a route to cheat the system of merit-based acceptance.

After the sexual encounter at a hotel, the woman texts the man and says 'best sex ever', later, she uncovers the truth and accuses the man by texting him, 'you raped me, I hope you burn in hell.'

Now, my immediate reaction is that whilst this is a disgusting thing to do, is not rape. He's a pickup artist who lies and deceives women in order for them to sleep with him.

The episode is largely on the side of the argument that she did not consent to the real person but instead consented to someone else, so it is classified as rape.

What are your views?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
I was watching Law and Order SVU and I came across an interesting scenario; by the end of it comment your opinion on whether or not you would classify this as rape.

In the story, a student is applying to colleges. His mother decides to seduce the head of admissions at one of the prestigious universities her son has applied to ( for a bit of background she is also married ) in the hopes of persuading the head of admissions to accept her son.

The 'head of admissions' at this school is, however, an imposter who actually works as a security guard at the University, he conned the mother into thinking he was the head of admissions so that she would be more inclined to sleep with him as he knows some parents might just go down such a route to cheat the system of merit-based acceptance.

After the sexual encounter at a hotel, the woman texts the man and says 'best sex ever', later, she uncovers the truth and accuses the man by texting him, 'you raped me, I hope you burn in hell.'

Now, my immediate reaction is that whilst this is a disgusting thing to do, is not rape. He's a pickup artist who lies and deceives women in order for them to sleep with him.

The episode is largely on the side of the argument that she did not consent to the real person but instead consented to someone else, so it is classified as rape.

What are your views?

That is so interesting. In my opinion, though he deceived her which is totally wrong, I don't think that he raped her as she consented to having sex with him. Both were using one another that is for sure.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing

What are your views?

Were this to be classified as rape, every sexual encounter conducted via Tinder could probably be similarly construed.
Reply 3
No.
They, in this scenario, both seem to be unpleasant people who are welcome to each other though.
I’m not sure...

Consent is voided when sex happens outside the agreed conditions. Eg. The act of ‘stealthing’ is so unambiguously rape since the woman didn’t consent to sex without a condom.

This woman had sex under false pretences. She thought he was the Head of Admissions and was having sex with him specifically for that reason.

I don’t know if I’d say it’s rape but it’s very questionable and very close to the line.
Original post by Reality Check
Were this to be classified as rape, every sexual encounter conducted via Tinder could probably be similarly construed.

That is a very good point... Basically every ****boi is guilty of rape if they acquired the sex through deception.
Very interesting scenario. This is know as "rape by deception" and has limited precedent in various countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_deception

Sounds like in Israel, the scenario would constitute rape, but perhaps not anywhere else. There have been cases where a woman pretending to be a man has been found guilty of sexual assault in the UK. So pretending to be a different sex could be an offence. How different is that to pretending to be a different individual (of the same sex)?

Or here's an interesting idea: a woman pretends to be a man to have sex with a woman, then when caught and brought to justice, claims that she is transgender and really is a man.

IMO OP's scenario is not rape.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by chazwomaq

Or here's an interesting idea: a woman pretends to be a man to have sex with a woman, then when caught and brought to justice, claims that she is transgender and really is a man.

Is that a bad holiday in Thailand?
Is that a bad holiday in Thailand?

Bad?
Bad?

It was an inappropriate joke about ladyboys, but actually the sexes are the wrong way round in your example. I am old :facepalm:
It was an inappropriate joke about ladyboys, but actually the sexes are the wrong way round in your example. I am old :facepalm:

Ladyboy, boylady, whatever. Still sounds like a night to remember.
Ladyboy, boylady, whatever. Still sounds like a night to remember.

:rofl:
Just a bad scenario. Not rape. They used each other and deserve each other
If this was rape then a married woman on a one night stand that lied and said she was single would be guilty of rape.

Oh no wait......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending