Charted accountant a level subject choices Watch

Mandy21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi
I want to be charted accounted and decided to choose these subjects for A level next year.
Economics
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Are these any good. I want to keep my options open for physical sciences as well. As I am not sure about my liking yet.
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mandy21)
Hi
I want to be charted accounted and decided to choose these subjects for A level next year.
Economics
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Are these any good. I want to keep my options open for physical sciences as well. As I am not sure about my liking yet.
This seems like a very good combination. If you’re thinking about an accountancy or economics degree, the only thing I’d add is that further maths may be useful if you’re intending to apply to Oxbridge/Warwick/LSE, but otherwise taking the subjects you’ve listed seems smart if you want to keep your options open. For Econ/accounting the ideal combination in my opinion would be economics, maths, further maths and history or a science (depending on how mathematical the course is), and for sciences then either three sciences and maths or maths, further maths, physics and chemistry would be ideal. But the options you’ve chosen are great for keeping doors open and should still allow you to make a competitive application to either providing you can prove your interest through other things like further reading and essay competitions. Good luck!

(Also, do feel free to let me know if you have any questions about applying for an economics degree, as I’ve just applied myself and been through the process).
Mandy21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
This seems like a very good combination. If you’re thinking about an accountancy or economics degree, the only thing I’d add is that further maths may be useful if you’re intending to apply to Oxbridge/Warwick/LSE, but otherwise taking the subjects you’ve listed seems smart if you want to keep your options open. For Econ/accounting the ideal combination in my opinion would be economics, maths, further maths and history or a science (depending on how mathematical the course is), and for sciences then either three sciences and maths or maths, further maths, physics and chemistry would be ideal. But the options you’ve chosen are great for keeping doors open and should still allow you to make a competitive application to either providing you can prove your interest through other things like further reading and essay competitions. Good luck!

(Also, do feel free to let me know if you have any questions about applying for an economics degree, as I’ve just applied myself and been through the process).
Thank you very much for your reply. Maths is not my strong subject, so I think further maths is not for me. Is it still ok to study accountancy. I am good at mental maths though. What do think is better option after A level: university or apprenticeship. Would you mind me asking which uni have you applied. Best.
Mona123456
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mandy21)
Thank you very much for your reply. Maths is not my strong subject, so I think further maths is not for me. Is it still ok to study accountancy. I am good at mental maths though. What do think is better option after A level: university or apprenticeship. Would you mind me asking which uni have you applied. Best.
Not having further maths shouldn’t be too much of a problem - it depends more on the Unis and courses you’re applying for whether it will disadvantage you, but it’s definitely better to e.g. take Chemistry and get an A for example than take Further Maths and get a C.

Yep - it should still be fine to study accountancy. It depends on what grades you’re predicted as to which Unis you could make a competitive application for, but I don’t see any other problems. Accountancy degrees usually may ask for maths but other than that don’t have specific requirements as far as I know.

The University vs Apprenticeship debate really depends on what suits you better. Both can open doors and be a good option. They are quite different of course - Uni will more more academic and a different kind of lifestyle compared to an Apprenticeship in which you’ll be working and learning on the job. Either way you’ll likely have to take extra exams after though. But yeah, research more into them as they are pretty different and it’s about whether the investment into Uni would be worthwhile and whether it’s something you’d enjoy and an experience you’d get a lot out of. If not, and you’re more of a practical person than a lecture person, and you want to start earning a salary and know for definite that there’s a specific company you’d be happy to commit to for 3-5+ years (or maybe less depending on the programme) then maybe that’s the better option.

I applied for various economics degrees at Oxford, Warwick, Nottingham, Bath and Birmingham.

Hope this helps
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I wouldn't recommend taking four subjects as proposed - universities only make offers on the basis of three A-levels, and taking extra A-levels normally confers no advantage (except A-level FM for maths/physical sciences/engineering/computing/economics courses), and can actually backfire by causing you to spread yourself too thin.

I would note A-level Economics is not required for even an economics degree, much less an accounting degree (I don't also see that it's really that relevant to accounting either). As such I'd recommend dropping A-level Economics and just sticking with maths/physics/chemistry - this will be more than enough of a workload, and will be perfectly acceptable for entry into any accounting course I'm aware of.
Mandy21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
Not having further maths shouldn’t be too much of a problem - it depends more on the Unis and courses you’re applying for whether it will disadvantage you, but it’s definitely better to e.g. take Chemistry and get an A for example than take Further Maths and get a C.

Yep - it should still be fine to study accountancy. It depends on what grades you’re predicted as to which Unis you could make a competitive application for, but I don’t see any other problems. Accountancy degrees usually may ask for maths but other than that don’t have specific requirements as far as I know.

The University vs Apprenticeship debate really depends on what suits you better. Both can open doors and be a good option. They are quite different of course - Uni will more more academic and a different kind of lifestyle compared to an Apprenticeship in which you’ll be working and learning on the job. Either way you’ll likely have to take extra exams after though. But yeah, research more into them as they are pretty different and it’s about whether the investment into Uni would be worthwhile and whether it’s something you’d enjoy and an experience you’d get a lot out of. If not, and you’re more of a practical person than a lecture person, and you want to start earning a salary and know for definite that there’s a specific company you’d be happy to commit to for 3-5+ years (or maybe less depending on the programme) then maybe that’s the better option.

I applied for various economics degrees at Oxford, Warwick, Nottingham, Bath and Birmingham.

Hope this helps
Thanks, really helpful advice😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (230)
67.45%
No (111)
32.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed