Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
When applying to a Durham college, I originally put down St John's as my preference. I loved how pretty it was and that it was on the Bailey and seemed so traditional. It is also close to the humanities departments.

However, yesterday I got reallocated to Josephine Butler college. To be honest, it made me quite upset as it *kind of* seemed like the total opposite of what I liked about St John's. I also don't know that much about Josephine Butler so it has made me quite worried.

Could someone please tell me what Josephine Butler is like as a college? I'm worried about it being quite isolated, as it is self-catered. Does it still have a community feel like the other colleges? Are there interesting societies i could get involved in? What are the pros of living in Josephine Butler?

Please try and cheer a gal up (sorry for sounding so whiny lol)
znedd1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello, and congrats on getting into the best College in Durham!!!!!

I'm Ned, and I'm a first year Natural Sciences student at Butler (And a super passionate one at that, hence why you may see me around in some of the College threads). I'll try and answer as many questions as possible.

In regards to the feel of Butler, it is certainly different to the Bailey Colleges, but not in a bad way. Butler is Durham's youngest college, and has a reputation for being one of the most inclusive, active colleges in Durham.

Butler is the opposite of isolated. To start off, we have the biggest College bar, where we have frequent socials and meet-ups. We often have live bands playing, and many other events going on. We also have fortnightly formals with many different themes. There's plenty to sink your teeth into.
On top of that, we neighbour another college, (Stevo, the inferior college, naturally). It's less than five minutes to Trevs, South, Mildert, and Collingwood, so we're not really isolated at all location wise.

Being self catered does not make the college anti-social. In fact, it's quite the opposite. You get grouped into flats of 6, and you really get to know each other very well. In freshers, we also have flat mixers, where we get to know our neighbouring flats in the block. I know people from all around college, so there's no reason to worry.

Anyway, on the subject of societies. I don't even know where to start exactly!!! Butler's motto is #GetInvolved, and I did exactly that. I take part in 10 different societies here, 7 of which are in Butler (Butler Ultimate Frisbee, Tabletop games, Butler Tech Comm, Jazz Band, Soul Band, Meme Society, Media Society, Gaming Society). We have many sports teams if you're into that (football, hockey, rugby, darts, pool, badminton, tennis, squash, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse and rowing off the top of my head). I had never tried Frisbee before, but the groups are super inclusive, and I really got into it.
There's more active societies, like The Mound (The student Newspaper), or the bands(Jazz band, soul band, and Folk band). There's also more chill ones like Stargazing society, baking society, and Tabletop Games society. These are just to name a few. Butler probably has more societies than any other college.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! Hope to see you at Butler!
louisaharkness
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
heyyy, I've been allocated to Hatfield. I do not know much about Josephine Butler in particular but overall they all offer similar things. Maybe try and find a current student on here to talk to or browse the website a little aha.
If you want to discuss general Durham stuff and get excited, hmu ))
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by znedd1)
Hello, and congrats on getting into the best College in Durham!!!!!

I'm Ned, and I'm a first year Natural Sciences student at Butler (And a super passionate one at that, hence why you may see me around in some of the College threads). I'll try and answer as many questions as possible.

In regards to the feel of Butler, it is certainly different to the Bailey Colleges, but not in a bad way. Butler is Durham's youngest college, and has a reputation for being one of the most inclusive, active colleges in Durham.

Butler is the opposite of isolated. To start off, we have the biggest College bar, where we have frequent socials and meet-ups. We often have live bands playing, and many other events going on. We also have fortnightly formals with many different themes. There's plenty to sink your teeth into.
On top of that, we neighbour another college, (Stevo, the inferior college, naturally). It's less than five minutes to Trevs, South, Mildert, and Collingwood, so we're not really isolated at all location wise.

Being self catered does not make the college anti-social. In fact, it's quite the opposite. You get grouped into flats of 6, and you really get to know each other very well. In freshers, we also have flat mixers, where we get to know our neighbouring flats in the block. I know people from all around college, so there's no reason to worry.

Anyway, on the subject of societies. I don't even know where to start exactly!!! Butler's motto is #GetInvolved, and I did exactly that. I take part in 10 different societies here, 7 of which are in Butler (Butler Ultimate Frisbee, Tabletop games, Butler Tech Comm, Jazz Band, Soul Band, Meme Society, Media Society, Gaming Society). We have many sports teams if you're into that (football, hockey, rugby, darts, pool, badminton, tennis, squash, ultimate frisbee, lacrosse and rowing off the top of my head). I had never tried Frisbee before, but the groups are super inclusive, and I really got into it.
There's more active societies, like The Mound (The student Newspaper), or the bands(Jazz band, soul band, and Folk band). There's also more chill ones like Stargazing society, baking society, and Tabletop Games society. These are just to name a few. Butler probably has more societies than any other college.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! Hope to see you at Butler!
Thank you so much for your very helpful reply! You have really changed my mind about Butler and it sounds like a really nice college.

Just wondering - are flatmates that one gets put with completely random? Or is there a kind of questionnaire to answer to try and put people with similar personalities together?

Also, this may seem like a kind of random question but do flats tend to cook together, or do people tend to just cook for themselves?

Thanks again for your awesome reply!
znedd1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you so much for your very helpful reply! You have really changed my mind about Butler and it sounds like a really nice college.

Just wondering - are flatmates that one gets put with completely random? Or is there a kind of questionnaire to answer to try and put people with similar personalities together?

Also, this may seem like a kind of random question but do flats tend to cook together, or do people tend to just cook for themselves?

Thanks again for your awesome reply!
Hello again!
Last year, at around August, they sent us all a survey to do with our personality, what societies and stuff we are interested in. In there you could also give specific requests (EG. Ground floor flat, Quiet Flat, Alcohol free).
When we came, I was put in a flat with 5 other lovely people. They don't of course tell you why they group you together, but we think it's because we all mentioned liking to keep the kitchen tidy.
But anyway, most flats I've talked to get on really well together. We often go to the bar together, or go to some of the college events together. They don't group you based on subjects or gender, which is good IMO, because it's nice to meet a variety of people.

In terms of cooking together. We mainly cook for ourselves, except on special occasions (For example, we did christmas dinner together). Other flats I've talked to cook together a lot more often, though it's hard logistically when we all have different schedules and stuff.
With that said, we often order food together. We usually get Tesco/Asda orders straight to the college, and most people do that as a flat to save on delivery costs etc.

Hope this helps!
Anonymous #2
Report 8 months ago
I’m off to Josephine butler! It looks a little messy but, I love the fact I’ll have my own toilet and space. Try not to worry too much, all will be okay. Let’s hope we all get in given what’s happening recently
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (816)
42.41%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.65%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.47%

Watched Threads