Why are house prices in London so more expensive than the north Watch

richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Will HS2/ Other high speed trains mean midlands/ northern properties prices go up?
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, least for areas close to hs2 stations.

I see HS2 (if it happens) as extending the London commuter belt rather than revitalising the economies of places it serves.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joinedup)

I see HS2 (if it happens) as extending the London commuter belt rather than revitalising the economies of places it serves.
That's exactly what it will do, it's a london centric project not a project to boost the north of England
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by richard10012)
Will HS2/ Other high speed trains mean midlands/ northern properties prices go up?
The answer is simple supply and demand economics.

It will only effect ones close to the line and in realistic travelling distance (time) to london.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not if it's one of the properties which has been compulsorily purchased.
ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Not if it's one of the properties which has been compulsorily purchased.
Yeah but on the plus side that means that the houses that are left should go up in value, less housing stock and all that 😉.
Oops I forgot to do the upper/lower case thing.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Yeah but on the plus side that means that the houses that are left should go up in value, less housing stock and all that 😉.
Oops I forgot to do the upper/lower case thing.
:laugh: the market in action?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The simple answer is that the population density in London is very high due to British attitudes to building on the greenbelt. That drives up London land prices (high demand, restricted supply). There is also an abundance of foreign money purchasing property inflating demand further.

In West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester it's likely.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joinedup)

Maybe, on the other hand people tend to object to having trainlines in their back garden so swings and roundabouts on that one
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The simple answer is that the population density in London is very high due to British attitudes to building on the greenbelt. That drives up London land prices (high demand, restricted supply). There is also an abundance of foreign money purchasing property inflating demand further.

In West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester it's likely.
True. But London is also the epitomybof a booming evonomy. There is lots of opportunity which attracts people and causes more activity. Lets us not forget the population of London fell in the 70s and early 80s and with it house prices too.
ZenoEX
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
London is the richest part of not just the UK, but also the whole of Northern Europe if you look at the statistics. So it makes sense that house prices there are massively inflated. Also because supply is artifacially restricted because of the Green Belt. Projects like HS2 will only lead to the commuter belt around London being expanded to Birmingham, etc.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
True. But London is also the epitomybof a booming evonomy. There is lots of opportunity which attracts people and causes more activity. Lets us not forget the population of London fell in the 70s and early 80s and with it house prices too.
Ok you got me, what's an epitomybof?
QEBoy101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
epitome of
Anonnorth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe areas of the Midlands near where the stations are for it.

As far as the North is concerned it is not going anywhere near the proper north.
It takes over two hours from up here to get down to where those in London are classing as the North.

Instead of spending all that money to save 20 mins on a journey from London to Birmingham it would benefit the true north in having the lines up here electrified and newer trains that work rather than being cancelled because they forgot to train their staff to operate them.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonnorth)
Maybe areas of the Midlands near where the stations are for it.

As far as the North is concerned it is not going anywhere near the proper north.
It takes over two hours from up here to get down to where those in London are classing as the North.

Instead of spending all that money to save 20 mins on a journey from London to Birmingham it would benefit the true north in having the lines up here electrified and newer trains that work rather than being cancelled because they forgot to train their staff to operate them.
It cuts journey times from Leeds to Birmingham, Nottingham and London by the better part of an hour to be fair.
angiad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well London is a world city, it is a third sector economy which means it technically focuses on services. Ranging from simple things like hairdressers to its booming economy and financial firms. London is full of TNC's and it is so attractive for foreign investment partly because of how strong the pound is. This makes housing more expensive than in the north because people want to be closer to these facilities, alot of people work in London and the demand for housing in London especially is very high meaning that the prices can be high for the houses because the demand will always be there. Living in London has always been viewed as attractive which also contributes to the high housing costs.

Hope all is well
Andrea
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by QEBoy101)
epitome of
Cheers mate, that makes sence now
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Ok you got me, what's an epitomybof?
Empitomy of. I hit b instead of space. My apologies.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Empitomy of. I hit b instead of space. My apologies.
No worries mate, it spun my head I'm the last person to criticise for a typo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (361)
66.98%
No (178)
33.02%

Watched Threads