Dashboard cameras Watch

richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Can I get a dashboard camera that will record when the car engine is off and it detects movements? If so are they expensive
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by richard10012)
Can I get a dashboard camera that will record when the car engine is off and it detects movements? If so are they expensive
The ideal solution is what I have currently.

I've got a BlackVue DR900S-2CH wired in to a BlackVue B-124 battery pack. It keeps the dashcams powered for about 16 hours when parked and they record any motion or impacts.

I also have a 4G router plugged in to the battery which allows me to access the cameras remotely and view the live stream.

This setup might be a little overkill, and at retail price it's rather expensive.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)

I've got a BlackVue DR900S-2CH wired in to a BlackVue B-124 battery pack. It keeps the dashcams powered for about 16 hours when parked and they record any motion or impacts.

I also have a 4G router plugged in to the battery which allows me to access the cameras remotely and view the live stream.

This setup might be a little overkill, and at retail price it's rather expensive.
Overkill as it may seem, it's a good option. Absolutely do not fall into the trap of hardwiring your dashcam because it'll absolutely fist your battery, I found this out the hard way when when I had pneumonia and didn't drive for a month.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nevershear)
Overkill as it may seem, it's a good option. Absolutely do not fall into the trap of hardwiring your dashcam because it'll absolutely fist your battery, I found this out the hard way when when I had pneumonia and didn't drive for a month.
I was using the Power Magic Pro which had a voltage limiter, but I was only getting about 5 hours before the voltage hit 12v and it cut out. Battery was expensive but imo it was worth it.
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Holy crap! That's as much as half my car!
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LTEcactus)
Holy crap! That's as much as half my car!
In fairness I did get both the dashcams and the battery in Amazon's Warehouse Deals at a knocked down price. Still cost me a pretty penny though!
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
By hard wiring - you mean hard wiring straight to a constant 12V source. I hard wire all my dash cams because I hate having wires dangling all over my dashboard and I don't like things "living" in the lighter socket. VWs in the early 2000's have a handy ignition switched stud on the bottom of the relay box under the dash which is perfect for hooking up to.

Good thing as well because the cigarette lighter socket is always live and not switched with the ignition. Good for charging your phone when camping, bad for using with a dash cam.

I did the whole lot on my partner's new (old) car this afternoon. I ordered a DC-DC 5V step down converter with two female USB outputs. Snipped off one and hard wired the dash cam to that (after snipping off the plug that comes with the dash cam) and the other female USB was fixed inside the DIN pocket above the stereo. One of those useless 3-4 inch long micro USB cables that come bundled with everything is the perfect length to go from the DIN pocket to her phone when on the mount. Then the DC-DC converter was wired in under the relay box. Super tidy install and very modular if I need to add stuff in the future. I fitted the hands-free microphone up by the interior light while I had all the A-pillar trim and under-dash off as well, plus built a magnetic phone holder into one of the switch blanks by the heater vent. Solid afternoon.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In fairness I did get both the dashcams and the battery in Amazon's Warehouse Deals at a knocked down price. Still cost me a pretty penny though!
Bruh that's not a dashcam that's an MI5 surveillance unit.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bruh that's not a dashcam that's an MI5 surveillance unit.
Shhhh I'm undercover!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (496)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.18%
No- I want it (235)
28.31%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.75%

Watched Threads