Maximus 190
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m stuck on an Isaac physics question, I’ve tried this a couple times and keep getting the same answer. Attachment 879902

My working out is here, Attachment 879904

Also I have watched the hint video and they got a different equation when equating the vertical forces. I have Ncos(30) + mu*Nsin(30) = mg, but they have -mu *Nsin(30). On the diagram they have also drawn the friction force down the slope, but surely it should be up the slope? Super confused. Would appreciate help.

Also here is an image of the hint with a diagram and their starting equations. Attachment 879906
ThiagoBrigido
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maximus 190)
I’m stuck on an Isaac physics question, I’ve tried this a couple times and keep getting the same answer. Attachment 879902

My working out is here, Attachment 879904

Also I have watched the hint video and they got a different equation when equating the vertical forces. I have Ncos(30) + mu*Nsin(30) = mg, but they have -mu *Nsin(30). On the diagram they have also drawn the friction force down the slope, but surely it should be up the slope? Super confused. Would appreciate help.

Also here is an image of the hint with a diagram and their starting equations. Attachment 879906
There is nothing attached.
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 week ago
TSR has problems with attachements sometimes - try uploading to your favourite image hosting site and linking across.
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
(Original post by ghostwalker)
TSR has problems with attachements sometimes - try uploading to your favourite image hosting site and linking across.

https://imgur.com/a/i78v1ZY
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 week ago
Question asks for the maximum speed. I.e. if it went any faster the car would not make it round the curve. So friction is acting, in general, towards the centre of rotation, and hence down the slope.
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
Question asks for the maximum speed. I.e. if it went any faster the car would not make it round the curve. So friction is acting, in general, towards the centre of rotation, and hence down the slope.
Oh right okay, I’ll try it again in a little bit. Thanks
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
Tried that, now I’m just getting the same final equation but negative mu * sin 30 on the bottom. This gives me a negative value for the velocity squared?
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
Tried that, now I’m just getting the same final equation but negative mu * sin 30 on the bottom. This gives me a negative value for the velocity squared?
Name:  EAEBC996-A733-4111-8090-5F15FA229DDF.jpg.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  26.2 KB
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 week ago
At a guess you only changed one of your intial equations, but I've no idea as you haven't posted any working!
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
At a guess you only changed one of your intial equations, but I've no idea as you haven't posted any working!
Do you see my working out now? I can upload to another site and link if not. I have the sane equations as the hint video now
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 week ago
Do you see my working out now? I can upload to another site and link if not. I have the sane equations as the hint video now
Can see it now. cos30-mu sin 30 is still postive, giving a positive v^2. Does it not?
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
Can see it now. cos30-mu sin 30 is still postive, giving a positive v^2. Does it not?
Ohhh I’m in radians, one second ffs lol
Maximus 190
Rep:
?
Yeah that worked, thanks!
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 week ago
Ohhh I’m in radians.
Classic! One thing to watch out for in exams, where you might have some questions in degrees and others in radians.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (431)
67.77%
No (205)
32.23%

Watched Threads