Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I currently study computer science and I am in my second year. My first year of uni was a success and I loved it, however second year hasn't been the same. With the increase in workload and the lessened social life I have been struggling to enjoy my time at uni. I chose to study CS because it was something new to me and I wanted a change however I am now regretting it. My grades are above average and I am doing okay in the course, I also have a well paid internship this summer at a bank. I feel like this summer will be a make or break for me, If I don't enjoy the practical side of my course as well as the educational side then whats the point besides money?

I have a few friends who study physics and I am very interested in astronomy myself, I was close to changing course at the end of first year but I stuck with CS in the end. If I don't enjoy the summer then I'm considering taking a year out of uni and going back to do physics somewhere else, I feel like I would actually enjoy the content. (Currently I never come out of lectures feeling excited about what I'm learning).

I'm currently on a 4 year course too so I don't know how this will effect my future funding from student finance?

Does anyone feel the same/has anyone been through this before and done a similar thing? It feels like a massive waste of 2 years but I don't want to spend my life doing something I don't enjoy. I'd also be going back to uni as a fresher at 22 years of age. I'm curious if anyone has made a decision similar to this before and if it went well?

Thanks in advance!
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I currently study computer science and I am in my second year. My first year of uni was a success and I loved it, however second year hasn't been the same. With the increase in workload and the lessened social life I have been struggling to enjoy my time at uni. I chose to study CS because it was something new to me and I wanted a change however I am now regretting it. My grades are above average and I am doing okay in the course, I also have a well paid internship this summer at a bank. I feel like this summer will be a make or break for me, If I don't enjoy the practical side of my course as well as the educational side then whats the point besides money?

I have a few friends who study physics and I am very interested in astronomy myself, I was close to changing course at the end of first year but I stuck with CS in the end. If I don't enjoy the summer then I'm considering taking a year out of uni and going back to do physics somewhere else, I feel like I would actually enjoy the content. (Currently I never come out of lectures feeling excited about what I'm learning).

I'm currently on a 4 year course too so I don't know how this will effect my future funding from student finance?

Does anyone feel the same/has anyone been through this before and done a similar thing? It feels like a massive waste of 2 years but I don't want to spend my life doing something I don't enjoy. I'd also be going back to uni as a fresher at 22 years of age. I'm curious if anyone has made a decision similar to this before and if it went well?

Thanks in advance!
So it sounds like you've already done a lot of mental reflection and you seem like a fairly smart person capable of decing whats best for them and you've got a plan, so ill just chuck at you a couple other ideas you could think about:
-Finish internship (want to work in a bank full-time), drop to bachelors get into work asap
-Finish degree as bachelors and do an MSc in Physics (then go into banking or other career post masters)

So it sounds like your considering post internship the following
-Finish internship & apply for physics UG at which point in august you'll decide to either continue with Comp-sci or start a new physics degree depending on how your feeling then

I would also be wary of the grass is always greener, and whilst many of the physics concepts seem great you may just end up doing an applied math course (which is what I suspect CompSci feels like)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just to add to the excellent advice above
Student finance wise if you have 2 years study then your first year of a new full time BSc (or MSci) in Physics would be unfunded - that means no tuition fee loan but you would still get a maintenance loan for all years. Obviously that's a lot of money to find in advance so if this is a path you want to follow it would probably be best to take a year out to work and save up to help cover those costs (and the experience will always help with your employability after your degree).

There's less restriction on part time funding - for physics you could complete your CS degree and get full funding for a part time physics BSc as a second undergrad degree.

If you're interested in branching out as postgrad then DO NOT complete a MEng/MSci at undergrad level - that will rule out all postgraduate loan funding.

It's also worth talking to your tutors about your options and flexibility in your final year of your degree - it may well be possible to branch out into an area of CS that has crossovers with physics - particularly for a research project. That's worth doing if you stick it out, both for your sanity/motivation and to give you more options post grad.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (344)
60.25%
Yes- I don't like it (30)
5.25%