I feel traumatised over a grade.. and, can i still get a 2:1?

Watch
Marcel1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So just got my assignment grades back for the first term in my final year of PSY. i was really counting on these modules to get a good grade, i genuinely enjoyed, was interested, and worked long and hard in them. However, for one of them, i only got 62%.. and the other one... it would have been 58%, which is already bad enough.. but i devastatingly, 10 marks were removed as i accidentally went over the word count (i confused it with the other module's word count, I even had a PSY master student i live with proof read my work), so i only got 48%. it put me to the bottom of the class. I am so incredibly upset, all that time and effort to reflect a stupid error. i really couldnt afford that.

now ive entered by 2nd and final semester, i am behind on my dissertation , and i am behind on my other 2 modules due to several adversities with work and personal life im trying to combat and lay aside, i am not confident about either. but im getting up at 7am now to try and catch up.

i got 61.96 in my second year. this year counts at 60%. Can anyone tell me what grades i would need as a minimum on my dissertation and other 2 assignments, combined with the 48 and 62, to just get into a 2:1?

I hope i get some replies, even if they are just consolation. TIA
Last edited by Marcel1996; 1 month ago
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you need to get a little perspective. You have everything to play for going forward if you organise yourself and maybe play it strategically. The dissertation will be worth the most, so concentrate on getting that up to standard.

I think some reflection would help as well. Going over the word count is not an error. It is a matter of not giving yourself time to proofread and edit your work. Most universities operate on a sliding scale with deducting marks for going over the word count, docking so many for going five percent over, so many more for going ten percent over etc. To be docked ten suggests you went considerably over the count. You need to take full responsibility for this and make sure you’re sticking to the brief in your last few assignments.
Marcel1996
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by giella)
I think you need to get a little perspective. You have everything to play for going forward if you organise yourself and maybe play it strategically. The dissertation will be worth the most, so concentrate on getting that up to standard.

I think some reflection would help as well. Going over the word count is not an error. It is a matter of not giving yourself time to proofread and edit your work. Most universities operate on a sliding scale with deducting marks for going over the word count, docking so many for going five percent over, so many more for going ten percent over etc. To be docked ten suggests you went considerably over the count. You need to take full responsibility for this and make sure you’re sticking to the brief in your last few assignments.
thankyou..I got mixed up with the word count for the other assignment.. i know it was a very stubborn mistake, it should never have happened and I'm trying to not ruminate over that as it's gutted me
ohdearstudying
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This website might help. I can't offer much for advice as I merely do A Levels, but I wish you the best of luck, truly
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Marcel1996)
So just got my assignment grades back for the first term in my final year of PSY. i was really counting on these modules to get a good grade, i genuinely enjoyed, was interested, and worked long and hard in them. However, for one of them, i only got 62%.. and the other one... it would have been 58%, which is already bad enough.. but i devastatingly, 10 marks were removed as i accidentally went over the word count, so i only got 48%. it put me to the bottom of the class. I am so incredibly upset, all that time and effort to reflect a stupid error. i really couldnt afford that.

now ive entered by 2nd and final semester, i am behind on my dissertation , and i am behind on my other 2 modules, i am not confident about either. but im getting up at 7am now to try and catch up.

i got 61.96 in my second year. this year counts at 60%. Can anyone tell me what grades i would need as a minimum on my dissertation and other 2 assignments, combined with the 48 and 62, to just get into a 2:1?

I hope i get some replies, even if they are just consolation. TIA
How do you accidentally go over the word count?

What was the limit? Did you know?
How far over the limit were you?
Did you bother to check your word count?
Not seeing how you do it accidentally.

My calculation is c61.5 need to check later.
You also need to check the rules to see if there are any disregard rules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads