The Student Room Group

Don't trust bf

And now I'm becoming quite paranoid. The mistrust comes from him being dishonest, inconsistent, and certain behaviours that showed he didn't like me. I don't think he has ever cheated. However I can't help be jealous of every person he likes more than me. It's crazy I know. I become very easily suspicious when he seems to lie, I don't ask what he's doing because I don't want to be controlling. I also don't voice this stuff to him

He'll lie about his intentions, which makes me question what true intentions he is hiding. He'll say unreasonable stuff like he has to go and get ready when his lecture is 1.5 hours time. Or say he needs 2.5 hours for lunch or dinner. And the fact he mostly doesn't tell me anything about his day makes me suspicious he's hiding things. He stopped talking to me late at night because he wants to sleep earlier, yet he'll stay up until 1/2am doing other stuff or talking to other people. If he wakes up in the night (I have insomnia so I'm awake a lot in the night) he'll never tell me. It just seems like he's avoiding me and hiding things. Today for example I go on whatsapp to say good morning and it says last seen at 4.30am and hasn't responded. So now I'm thinking who did he stay up until 4am talking to? He doesn't party or drink, supposedly. Someone help 😭

I used to be such a chill gf when I could believe he liked me and loved me :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
And now I'm becoming quite paranoid. The mistrust comes from him being dishonest, inconsistent, and certain behaviours that showed he didn't like me. I don't think he has ever cheated. However I can't help be jealous of every person he likes more than me. It's crazy I know. I become very easily suspicious when he seems to lie, I don't ask what he's doing because I don't want to be controlling. I also don't voice this stuff to him

He'll lie about his intentions, which makes me question what true intentions he is hiding. He'll say unreasonable stuff like he has to go and get ready when his lecture is 1.5 hours time. Or say he needs 2.5 hours for lunch or dinner. And the fact he mostly doesn't tell me anything about his day makes me suspicious he's hiding things. He stopped talking to me late at night because he wants to sleep earlier, yet he'll stay up until 1/2am doing other stuff or talking to other people. If he wakes up in the night (I have insomnia so I'm awake a lot in the night) he'll never tell me. It just seems like he's avoiding me and hiding things. Today for example I go on whatsapp to say good morning and it says last seen at 4.30am and hasn't responded. So now I'm thinking who did he stay up until 4am talking to? He doesn't party or drink, supposedly. Someone help 😭

I used to be such a chill gf when I could believe he liked me and loved me :frown:

You don’t need to be paranoid. Confront him about this and if he’s still acting like a jack***, cut him off for your sake. You don’t need to become a stalker because your bf is treating you less than you should be. You deserve better
Reply 2
Original post by Designeddeath
You don’t need to be paranoid. Confront him about this and if he’s still acting like a jack***, cut him off for your sake. You don’t need to become a stalker because your bf is treating you less than you should be. You deserve better

I feel like I'm overreacting though, like I've got nothing substantial, and he'll just say I'm being controlling

Although funnily enough, last Wednesday he said he missed his lectures because he over slept cos he slept late, so there is some pattern
I feel like I'm overreacting though, like I've got nothing substantial, and he'll just say I'm being controlling

Although funnily enough, last Wednesday he said he missed his lectures because he over slept cos he slept late, so there is some pattern

You may not be wrong but you just don’t have concrete evidence or you may be completely wrong. Give it time though but if it’s affecting you, mentally, I think you should take a break or something.
Reply 4
Original post by Designeddeath
You may not be wrong but you just don’t have concrete evidence or you may be completely wrong. Give it time though but if it’s affecting you, mentally, I think you should take a break or something.

I feel sick and anxious. I'm worried he is cheating, and it's unlikely he would admit to that. When he replies I'll see if he says about why he was up so late, if not I'll ask him, idc if I seem paranoid.

Perhaps he's coming across as evasive because you're coming across as a bit suspicious and controlling. Certainly from what you've written here you sound like hard work.

Either trust him and back off with the twenty questions all the time, or confront him and make your decision from there. The low-level constant sotto voce suspicion is unnerving, and will drive him away.
Just Ignore him if he counties to be a piece of s***. If I were you, I wouldn't give him a f***.
G E T ... A ... N E W ... B O Y F R I EN D !

The one you have now is rubbish.
Reply 8
Sounds like you need to do some work on yourself by yourself if I am honest. You don't sound ready to be in a relationship and he doesn't sound like he is either.
Reply 9
Original post by Pathway
Sounds like you need to do some work on yourself by yourself if I am honest. You don't sound ready to be in a relationship and he doesn't sound like he is either.

Yup I never wanted to be in a relationship, I'm too anxious and emotional. My fault for saying yes. But we've been together a while now and I have strong feelings for him, but worries are eating away at me, it's hard to know what to do :/
Yup I never wanted to be in a relationship, I'm too anxious and emotional. My fault for saying yes. But we've been together a while now and I have strong feelings for him, but worries are eating away at me, it's hard to know what to do :/

Yeah, but having strong feelings for someone to the point where it's making you feel sick and paranoid is not healthy. This isn't a viable relationship even if he isn't up to anything. Work on yourself and healing whatever it is that is making you feel this way. Don't answer if you don't want to, but what was your childhood like? Any significant traumas?
You deserve sooo much better. Honestly just cut him off. Before it gets worse:frown:
If you don't trust him then break-up with him. Relationships can't work without trust.
Reply 13
im sorry you're going through that but DUMP HIM. hes absolutely not worth it, dont get hung up on people who dont have the time or consideration for your emotions. i know it's hard now but in like 2 years you won't care xx
Confront him first. Just say that he's been acting off recently- you dont need to give him specifics. He'll probably be defensive but rather than accusing him of anything or pointing the finger at him just say how you feel and make it more about yourself. Say you dont feel your relationship is how it used to be and you're worried hes hiding something. If hes not sympathetic to your worries then he isn't ready to be in a relationship. However if you feel that confronting him will just go like every conversation you've had previously and you'll feel bad at the end of it, then maybe you are not ready to be in a relationship because its not healthy constantly craving something that someone clearly is not willing to give you. Im sorry you're in this situation and i know its hard, but communication is key and you need to express how you feel. otherwise in the long term you will have built up resentment for the way hes unconsciously made you repress your worries and feelings.
Original post by Viennaaxo
You deserve sooo much better.

How do you know? Do you know her personally or something?
I can understand being suspicious, but you are looking into thinks way too much. Sometimes I say goodnight to people and proceed to be online because I needed to respond to a text or remembered something I need to tell someone. Why does he need to tell you if he wakes up? When I say goodnight to my boyfriend, and if I wake up, I won't message him again at 3am saying, "Oh, hi, I woke up" and then proceed to fall asleep 30 mins later. It just seems completely pointless.

If anything, I think what he wants is space. You sound like you're starting to suffocate him. You, too, sound like you need the space yourself.

I think you're really worrying yourself and making things worse. I don't reprimand you for being suspicious, I just definitely think you're accelerating how "bad" things are if you are getting so worked up like this. You need to take a step back.
Original post by Lilli22
I can understand being suspicious, but you are looking into thinks way too much. Sometimes I say goodnight to people and proceed to be online because I needed to respond to a text or remembered something I need to tell someone. Why does he need to tell you if he wakes up? When I say goodnight to my boyfriend, and if I wake up, I won't message him again at 3am saying, "Oh, hi, I woke up" and then proceed to fall asleep 30 mins later. It just seems completely pointless.

If anything, I think what he wants is space. You sound like you're starting to suffocate him. You, too, sound like you need the space yourself.

I think you're really worrying yourself and making things worse. I don't reprimand you for being suspicious, I just definitely think you're accelerating how "bad" things are if you are getting so worked up like this. You need to take a step back.

But he was talking to someone else at that time but not me, hence why he was online. Or he stayed up until that time. And he ignored my 2am message (since I woke up). Yeah it just used to be our thing, since I always wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep, so I'd message him to see if he was awake and wanted to chat. Or to warn him I've had a bad sleep and will be grumpy.

We have taken a lot of space recently but for me it makes things worse because I've been stressing and ruminating over everything in the relationship. I need to breathe and forget about it all, but whatever I do I can't forget or stop worrying :/
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, but having strong feelings for someone to the point where it's making you feel sick and paranoid is not healthy. This isn't a viable relationship even if he isn't up to anything. Work on yourself and healing whatever it is that is making you feel this way. Don't answer if you don't want to, but what was your childhood like? Any significant traumas?

Pretty normal, moved around a lot so I've got into the habit of being bad at keeping friends, **** with a guy 2 years ago, affected me a lot but I got over it eventually. I am quite cynical, it's hard to know when to trust someone (particularly in a romantic relationship) because they might just abuse that trust
Pretty normal, moved around a lot so I've got into the habit of being bad at keeping friends, **** with a guy 2 years ago, affected me a lot but I got over it eventually. I am quite cynical, it's hard to know when to trust someone (particularly in a romantic relationship) because they might just abuse that trust

Honestly it doesn't sound like you got over that previous relationship. I think you need to have some time to truly think about this and analyse it and how you're behaving today. None of what you're doing is healthy. Work on yourself and seek support from a therapist maybe. IAPT is relatively easy to get access to, if you don't want to talk to someone, self-help books are a good thing to invest in as well and actually use/take on board.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending