How to improve grades in access to nursing course Watch

Adwoadufie72
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi everyone, I have been doing access to nursing course since September last year and due to finish this year. I have apply to university and I have done five interviews and I gotten offers for all five of them. But my fears are I might not make the grades. I have done four assignments so far and have received 2 passes and 2 merits. And I need to get some distinctions before I get into any of the universities. Is there any trick to get a distinction in access course? And in case I don't get the grades, is there any course I can do in addition to get into university. I am a mature student in my 40s. I really want to do nursing. And I have to say I spend a lot of time on assignments. I seems not to get good grades. Please I need help
lainem1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Adwoadufie72)
Hi everyone, I have been doing access to nursing course since September last year and due to finish this year. I have apply to university and I have done five interviews and I gotten offers for all five of them. But my fears are I might not make the grades. I have done four assignments so far and have received 2 passes and 2 merits. And I need to get some distinctions before I get into any of the universities. Is there any trick to get a distinction in access course? And in case I don't get the grades, is there any course I can do in addition to get into university. I am a mature student in my 40s. I really want to do nursing. And I have to say I spend a lot of time on assignments. I seems not to get good grades. Please I need help
Hi, I complete Access to Medicine 6 years ago, and dont believe there's a trick to getting a distinction as such, but maybe some tips to help you complete the assignments the way the HEI wants them done and have you spending less time on the assignment too, I used to spend days/weeks working on them, and you dont always have that sort of time. So this is what I started doing and it worked, apologies if you already do this...
What is the question? (Actually write it down)
What's your word count? (Again write it down)
Now, what do YOU want to use to discuss the topic and make your point? (Find your sources and you guessed it...write them down)
You've got your sources, and know how you want to approach your topic, but now...write down 10 things that can help you make that point (you may not use them all, you may add more, but this helps you to stay on point, and avoids wandering onto other less valuable points, that may not only not get you marks, but may make it read as though your trying to pad out your word count or you're not sure of your subject, whatever you do, if you're not 100% sure about a statement, sentence or your trying to pad out a section and it doesn't really add anything to it etc DO NOT USE IT!
Next, split your subject into 5 parts; Intro, Paragraphs 1, 2 and 3, and Conclusion - Intro should state the question and explain what you're going to talk about and how you're going to do it, nothing more or less, Conclusion should sum up and link back to the Intro. Para 1 should have an explanation of the subject and question, Para 2 should have your point and evidence, Para 3 should have any opposing points, alternative views etc all of this helps you stay focused on the subject matter, and helps with the word count!
Allocate a rough portion of your word count to each section, this too helps you stay within.
I know this wont work for every assignment, ie: Lab Reports, Maths Assignments etc, but for those stick to the layout, keep it simple and dont over complicate the experiment or the maths work. For lab reports don't try to flower up experiments that didn't work, say it didn't work, and explain why, show that you've understood what and why you were doing it. Explain what could be done differently and offer an explanation as to why this would/could change future outcomes.
Sorry if these are all things you do, just my way of doing things, I too am a mature student, and I'm changing everything I've done and heading to Midwifery so I feel your pain!
Another thing I found helped reduce the time spent was keeping either noted on my phone or in a small notebook, it's so easy to forget really good statements you've thought about when you've been out and about and trying to recreate them sometimes makes it worse, this way you dont forget them!
Hope this helps a bit 😊 and good luck with the remainder of your assignments 🤞
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
What has your feedback been on previous marked worked? Surely there have been some pointers as to what you need to improve?
Adwoadufie72
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thanks Lainem1 and reality check. I will keep your suggestions in mind
maturestudentsos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi, I'm a mature student in my 40s too, although studying digital Marketing so a really different subject. Have you got any study skills support at your place of education? My Uni has a great team that really point students in the right direction with assignments. Might be worth asking if there is such a department? I'm sure you'll do really well. Good luck!
Charlotte.Louise
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi 😊 I'm about halfway through my access course and studying online. I'm also a mature student with a job and two kids so I feel your pain! I have distinctions in everything so far and happy to help if I can! What is it in particular that you're struggling with? Have they given you any specific feedback?
Adwoadufie72
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks very much Charlotte.Louise. I have written 2 essays one on law which was Tort of negligence and I got pass. And the feedback was basically it was not good. For biology I got merit and I was told it was strong merit but I thought I have done everything I was supposed to do. My next essay is about attachment which I am hoping to get distinction. If you have any advice as to how to improve my essay writing, then that will be great. Thanks very much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (199)
67.23%
No (97)
32.77%

Watched Threads