The Student Room Group

Great Gatbsy quotes

How many quotes should you memorise for Gatsby (English lit A-level)??
Do you only need quotes for Nick, Gatsby, Tom & Daisy??

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ty!!
You should probable memorise a lot of quotes for each principle character, as well as quotes for more minor characters, like Wolfshiem, Myrtle and Wilson, as well as quotes from minor characters about main characters, such as all the rumours about Gatsby, and what Catherine says about Myrtle and Tom hating their spouses, and so on...

It would be really great for your understanding of the text and the relationship between characters to memorise lots of quotes, especially ones that concern multiple characters, such as Jordan talking about Daisy and Gatsby to Nick.

Also maybe try to remember a variety of quotes that aren't just dialog between characters or descriptions. Take note of adjectives and phrases or literary devices Fitzgerald uses, such as the prominent water related words and colour symbolism. You can unpick these smaller quotes and lump them together as evidence of a certain semantic field or atmosphere that Fitzgerald tries to create.

At the very least I feel like you should remember at least 5-10 quotes for each character and a solid understanding of who each character is, their motivations and their role in the story and what they might represent, as well as the contextual value of this character, such as Daisy being a flapper and what that means for her character as a mother and a women, or Gatsby as a new money person who isn't accepted by the old money bourgeoisie. This would make your essays really convincing and accurate because you are familiar with the characters.

Also read the book again, maybe even multiple times, and keep a list of the important or notable quotes that you think would support a point or idea you're trying to make about a character or theme - think of quotes like evidence in a court case. If you want to win and you want the judge to believe and appreciate your claim, you will need a LOT of evidence that is reliable and strong that supports your points and make them solid.

You'll also need to know quotes for each theme in the book, important settings as well as important quotes that change or move the plot forward in an important way, such as the revelation that Gatsby believes he can reveal the past. Also it's crucial to know the story really well such as what goes on in each scene / chapter and what that means for the whole story, how does an event or revelation affect the story. Maybe do a detailed summary for each chapter and note down important quotes.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by basilganglia
You should probable memorise a lot of quotes for each principle character, as well as quotes for more minor characters, like Wolfshiem, Myrtle and Wilson, as well as quotes from minor characters about main characters, such as all the rumours about Gatsby, and what Catherine says about Myrtle and Tom hating their spouses, and so on...

It would be really great for your understanding of the text and the relationship between characters to memorise lots of quotes, especially ones that concern multiple characters, such as Jordan talking about Daisy and Gatsby to Nick.

Also maybe try to remember a variety of quotes that aren't just dialog between characters or descriptions. Take note of adjectives and phrases or literary devices Fitzgerald uses, such as the prominent water related words and colour symbolism. You can unpick these smaller quotes and lump them together as evidence of a certain semantic field or atmosphere that Fitzgerald tries to create.

At the very least I feel like you should remember at least 5-10 quotes for each character and a solid understanding of who each character is, their motivations and their role in the story and what they might represent, as well as the contextual value of this character, such as Daisy being a flapper and what that means for her character as a mother and a women, or Gatsby as a new money person who isn't accepted by the old money bourgeoisie. This would make your essays really convincing and accurate because you are familiar with the characters.

Also read the book again, maybe even multiple times, and keep a list of the important or notable quotes that you think would support a point or idea you're trying to make about a character or theme - think of quotes like evidence in a court case. If you want to win and you want the judge to believe and appreciate your claim, you will need a LOT of evidence that is reliable and strong that supports your points and make them solid.

You'll also need to know quotes for each theme in the book, important settings as well as important quotes that change or move the plot forward in an important way, such as the revelation that Gatsby believes he can reveal the past. Also it's crucial to know the story really well such as what goes on in each scene / chapter and what that means for the whole story, how does an event or revelation affect the story. Maybe do a detailed summary for each chapter and note down important quotes.

Hope this helps :smile:

This is so helpful. Thank you so much!
Original post by _anonymous_user_
This is so helpful. Thank you so much!

happy to have helped
Original post by _anonymous_user_
How many quotes should you memorise for Gatsby (English lit A-level)??
Do you only need quotes for Nick, Gatsby, Tom & Daisy??

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Ty!!

Hi! I'm currently doing Gatsby too for my higher and something I find really helpful is the audio book which you can get for 50p on google play and is probably on youtube somewhere. Lit genius is also very helpful!
I use quizlet for my quotes and have about 80? I have them on daisy tom gatsby myrtle Wilson nick and ones relevant to themes or symbols. More importantly than remembering lots of quotes is to have and show a very good overall knowledge and understanding of the book as a whole and strong ideas on the themes. Ao1 is only a small percentage of the question so for this one better to focus learning context

Quick Reply

Latest