Kat123*
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have an assignment where I’m required to plot graphs with data from a dice rolling website to show radioactive exponential decay. My graphs are too straight and have no curve compared to the ones I’ve seen online. I have done the dice rolling thing 4 times now and seen the same results. Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong or can explain exponential decay in more detail?
Meowstic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
are you doing the experiment right?
you are meant to remove any die that roll over a fixed number
Kat123*
Rep:
?
(Original post by Meowstic)
are you doing the experiment right?
you are meant to remove any die that roll over a fixed number
Hello
It does not state that in my assignment brief it says to always have 100 dice
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Kat123*)
Hello
It does not state that in my assignment brief it says to always have 100 dice
In a simple picture of radioactive decay, once an atom has "died" it does not get to do that again. For your dice experiment, you should start with 100, but when a throw says a dice has "died", take it out of the pile so you get less than 100 next time and so on. That's where the exponential behaviour comes from.
Kat123*
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
In a simple picture of radioactive decay, once an atom has "died" it does not get to do that again. For your dice experiment, you should start with 100, but when a throw says a dice has "died", take it out of the pile so you get less than 100 next time and so on. That's where the exponential behaviour comes from.
So after the first roll, if 20 dice have ‘decayed’ I then use 80 the next time? Of course this makes sense but i was following my brief- I will give this a try. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads