Do you recommend studying in Europe?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Catsarepurrfect)
Hi!
Netherlands have incredible range of English taught bachelors, and lot of their unis are ranked 100-150 in the world and some even higher. You have to pay cca 2100 euros for a year, but they are halved in the first year. Bachelor takes 3 years to complete. You can get a loan for the fees from the government, but if you don't want any debt, it may be wiser to apply somewhere else. However, i think that 5250€ for a bachelor is pretty okay and it isn't a huge debt (smaller than one year in the UK, lol). I am going to apply to Netherlands for 2021 entry and i started thread for people interested in 2021 entry in sub-section "Studying in the Netherlands". If you have any questions you can either ask there or here, and i will answer if i can!
I am not sure how high are tuition fees in France or Belgium, but in these countries it will be easy for you to get a part-time job, which will, of course, be harder if you don't know local language. However i have heard that in Netherlands it is not so bad even if you don't speak dutch. Also, as a native English speaker and fluent French speaker you could tutor people in these languages as a part time job, maybe help them prepare for languages exams or as a speaking partner, no matter in which country you study.
This post is quite mishmash, but i hope it's understandable
Hi thank you so much for taking the time to write this incredibly helpful reply!
I'll defo take your advice and look into the Netherlands, it sounds amazing! And yeah that's such a good idea to tutor to get money!
Catsarepurrfect
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi thank you so much for taking the time to write this incredibly helpful reply!
I'll defo take your advice and look into the Netherlands, it sounds amazing! And yeah that's such a good idea to tutor to get money!
You are welcome!
carnabychick49
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by black tea)
The question was directed at the OP
Only just ready this doh 🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️
lololotte
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So I really do not want to go to a UK university (I'm in Year 12), because they are very expensive, I hate the UK to put it simply, and I cannot imagine staying here for another 4 years of my life.

I get good grades and I am aiming for As and A*s in my A-Levels next year. Also, I have a French passport as well as a British one, so the Brexit barrier is not an issue for me. I am also fluent in French and therefore I am a good linguist (not wanting to brag), and I got a 9 at Spanish GCSE (didn't pick it for A Level though).

Basically, I would like to know what you all recommend. Which European country should I study in, if I want to study law or journalism? Which is more affordable? Any universities in particular?

Sorry, this is a really broad question, but thank you
I used to live in the UK but am doing my A levels in the Netherlands, I would recommend the Netherlands they have lots of English degrees and it is very affordable its around 2000 euros per year, also they have a lot of highly ranked universities, would also recommend Belgium because they have some great unis too and the tuition is about 900 euros per year. Both of these countries are welcoming to English speakers and easy to get around. I will be applying to both the Netherlands and Belgium. For Law, maybe look at Maastricht university or the university college of Amsterdam or University of Amsterdam. In Holland u can study a non law bachelors but do a law masters if u do a minors in law.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by lololotte)
I used to live in the UK but am doing my A levels in the Netherlands, I would recommend the Netherlands they have lots of English degrees and it is very affordable its around 2000 euros per year, also they have a lot of highly ranked universities, would also recommend Belgium because they have some great unis too and the tuition is about 900 euros per year. Both of these countries are welcoming to English speakers and easy to get around. I will be applying to both the Netherlands and Belgium. For Law, maybe look at Maastricht university or the university college of Amsterdam or University of Amsterdam. In Holland u can study a non law bachelors but do a law masters if u do a minors in law.
Thank you so much for your help!
millierosewells
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you know anything about how the fees will change in 2021? As we will no longer be in the EEA, I assumed that studying in the Netherlands we would have to pay the institutional fees rather than the statutory fees (so 16,500e instead of 2000). If you have any information about fees I'd really appreciate it if you could send me the link! I am hoping to apply for a Masters at UvA but the post-Brexit potential cost is putting me off...
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So I really do not want to go to a UK university (I'm in Year 12), because they are very expensive, I hate the UK to put it simply, and I cannot imagine staying here for another 4 years of my life.

I get good grades and I am aiming for As and A*s in my A-Levels next year. Also, I have a French passport as well as a British one, so the Brexit barrier is not an issue for me. I am also fluent in French and therefore I am a good linguist (not wanting to brag), and I got a 9 at Spanish GCSE (didn't pick it for A Level though).

Basically, I would like to know what you all recommend. Which European country should I study in, if I want to study law or journalism? Which is more affordable? Any universities in particular?

Sorry, this is a really broad question, but thank you
My backstory involved doing undergrad in Europe for free, then doing 1 year of MSc in the UK.

Much more affordable, and attains the same end result. I did engineering though, which you're probably not as interested in.

I find UK university culture was more clique-ish than in Europe. I don't know why, don't care to be honest. There are some factors that could have effected my perception of it as well (such as joining and MSc course where most students already knew each other). It didn't slow me down anyway, and I was pretty overt with calling people out in group projects for example when they excluded myself or others from group decisions. Sh1t like that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.8%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.75%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (104)
54.45%

Watched Threads