Council tax help needed? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My first thread on this issue . I'm a full time student but the camden council sent me a summons of 612 pounds for non payment of council tax.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post87167994

So I tried to contact them but no avail. They say everything which deals with council tax exemptions is done online.
On their website, it says that students have to first register for council tax then send exemptions.

That's where my problem lies. If I register for council tax, then at the end of the registration process, it asks me to decide payment arrangements. Like how many instalments I have to pay.

If I do this, will I become liable for tax payment? How do I submit the exemption form when I'm already registered for council tax?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My first thread on this issue . I'm a full time student but the camden council sent me a summons of 612 pounds for non payment of council tax.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post87167994

So I tried to contact them but no avail. They say everything which deals with council tax exemptions is done online.
On their website, it says that students have to first register for council tax then send exemptions.

That's where my problem lies. If I register for council tax, then at the end of the registration process, it asks me to decide payment arrangements. Like how many instalments I have to pay.

If I do this, will I become liable for tax payment? How do I submit the exemption form when I'm already registered for council tax?
Cant you either ring them and explain the problem or visit their offices and explain?
If they wont speak to you then email or write a letter.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Cant you either ring them and explain the problem or visit their offices and explain?
If they wont speak to you then email or write a letter.
I did visit the camden council and emailed them
But no response via email and they are not available in person to discuss it.
What are your views on this registration then uploading a student certificate?
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
I did visit the camden council and emailed them
But no response via email and they are not available in person to discuss it.
What are your views on this registration then uploading a student certificate?
Cant imagine I wouldnt have found some way to talk to someone.
If I had to register and it said payment then I would but attach a note saying you were applying for 100% exemption.
Anonymous #1
Cant imagine I wouldnt have found some way to talk to someone.
If I had to register and it said payment then I would but attach a note saying you were applying for 100% exemption.
Theres no such attachment there. It asks to register and then the site says to upload a student certificate for exemption.
https://www.camden.gov.uk/council-tax-student-discounts
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Theres no such attachment there. It asks to register and then the site says to upload a student certificate for exemption.
https://www.camden.gov.uk/council-tax-student-discounts
Dont think its wise to enter into a debate with you.
I'm sure I would find a means of communicating with them and getting an explanation of how to proceed.
Thousands of other students have managed to get an exemption, so you just have to work out what they have done compared to yourself.
Could the exemption certificate be something provided by the uni?
I cant comment because I csnt see inside the account.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Generally your uni provides you with a letter of exemption and you can upload this to the council website

It may differ from area to area but I imagine the process is fairly similar
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Generally your uni provides you with a letter of exemption and you can upload this to the council website

Weve been through that on another thread. The OP appears to be stuck in a loop on the registration system, they say use the system , he says he cant, they wont talk to him apparently.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Weve been through that on another thread. The OP appears to be stuck in a loop on the registration system, they say use the system , he says he cant, they wont talk to him apparently.
Ok cool
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)

So first you register for council tax? It asks for payments at the end like how I will pay my council tax , like in how many installments. Do I have to upload the student letter after registration ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (486)
59.41%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.26%
No- I want it (234)
28.61%
No- I don't want it (55)
6.72%

Watched Threads