Tudor1234
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If I want to apply to a music uni, should I take a music gsce, or is that too much, and an A level in music is enough? (I would prefer to take a music gsce since I am very good at it, but I don't know if universities will accept it if I will have an A level in this subject as well)
Jeff Curry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would take music gcse as then u will more have knowledge for it at a level. if u just do it for a level you might struggle since u have to learn like the basics. so it would be good to do it at gcse and get a good grade. it also shows to the uni that u had good knowledge of the subject from gcse
welcometotherock
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Generally universities are simply looking for a spread of GCSE’s including maths and English at good grades. It’s best to choose subjects you enjoy and are likely to do well at or that will lead into further study at A level/Btec.

It will be your A level subjects and grades that determine your university entrance. Saying that I would expect most A level Music candidates to have done gcse.
welcometotherock
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In fact as not all schools offer it A level Music isn’t a requirement at most universities as long as you have specified ABRSM practical and theory grades. (Some universities also accept other exam boards).
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did GCSE Music and then went on to do A-Level and BTEC Music, I've never had any issues with it. In fact it probably just shows your commitment to the subject. I'm currently holding 3 offers to study Music at uni (hopefully 4 soon).
If you did end up not doing either, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Most unis don't ask for it (though some do, I know Surrey does). If you want to do music at uni though, I would really recommend it.
Some other stuff unis ask for is a certain level of practical and theoretical ability. Normally grade 5 theory (possible higher if you don't also have the a-level) and grade 7-8 practical (normally grade 8 for Russell Groups). Lots of unis also ask for an audition/interview.
When you say music uni, do you mean conservatoire? They have fairly different course content suited to different types of musician.
welcometotherock
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Surrey don’t ask for GCSE music, only A level or the Btec Extended Diploma.
remussjhj01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by welcometotherock)
Surrey don’t ask for GCSE music, only A level or the Btec Extended Diploma.
That's what I meant, sorry should have been clearer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (9)
75%
No (1)
8.33%
Not sure (2)
16.67%

Watched Threads