Popcorn989
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I really don’t know what to choose for my A-Levels: if you have any advice for me a response would be very much appreciated!

In my mock exams I got 10 8+s (English language and literature, Chemistry, Maths, Biology, French, Spanish, History and Classics) and a 7 (in Physics.) Even though I got a good grade in most of my exams, I naturally tend to find humanity exams easier (e.g. perform better in mini tests etc). However, I think that I would really love to be a doctor because the idea of helping people and their health really appeals to me. The only issue is that my school said that I must study Biology and Chemistry alongside Maths to go down this route (and I find Maths challenging and don’t always enjoy it, and would have to take additional exams to study these three subjects.)

I think that I would be happy studying most subjects really- I absolutely love English so I know that I want to study it. I am not sure whether to go for the “easier” option (at least for me) and study humanities, or choose the sciences route. I know there is a risk that I won’t get as good a mark this way or even get into medical school- but the final goal of being a doctor is really appealing to me.

I know this is an absolute essay- something which I have spent basically all of my time discussing with friends and family, so any advice would be a godsend. Thank you!
Last edited by Popcorn989; 6 days ago
The.One.And.Only
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Bio and chem are usually the two main ones. Maths isnt necessary for any schools I know of... oxbridge like as many sciences as possible, but for others bio and chem are as far as a level restrictions go. I personally dont do chemistry and there are 11 schools which dont ask for chemistry so I'm doing fine with that, as I do maths bio and physics. My point is ,whilst having chemistry and biology will be a huge help and maths will be beneficial, the most important thing is getting good grades at a level. So if you want your options open, do bio chem and a subject of your choice. x
Popcorn989
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thank you so much for your response xx! I feel like I should have been clearer- my school is insisting that I have to take at least three STEM subjects to pursue that path, basically I have to decide between humanities and medicine! I really love philosophy, English and history, but I also think I would really like to be a doctor... I have absolutely no idea what to do
Last edited by Popcorn989; 6 days ago
The.One.And.Only
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ohhh OK I assumed they were pushing for it but it wasn't compulsory. Newcastle is the only place where they don't require any sciences. You could do a degree then enter post grad, though I'm not as familiar with their requirements for a levels.
A levels are only 2 years, and if you decide to go for medicine, 2 years of stem shouldn't be that bad. The career will be worth it if it's what you truly want to do. X
hallaluliah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
if u don't want to go to a top uni i would suggest bio, chem, history and if u can do a 4th and then drop one then either philosophy/ eng or maths (which would really help)
I guess ur real results would allow u to make ur final decision
ur choice tho, btw u have amazing grades!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (230)
67.45%
No (111)
32.55%

Watched Threads