The Student Room Group

Durham vs Manchester

The University of Manchester or Durham University
I'd say it depends on the subject, but typically Durham. What course are you looking at?
Reply 2
They both offered me a place in physics, and of what I’ve heard Manchester is better at physics, but Durham has a better reputation.
Reply 3
Very different locations to live. Have you visited them both? I suspect that there is no notable difference in career outcomes between the two courses so better to focus on where you fancy living.
Hello!
Since you mentioned that these are offers for Physics, I've moved your thread to the physics courses forum.
You'll perhaps get more detailed responses that way. :h:
Reply 5
Thank you!
I’ve visited Manchester and I’ll go to durham next month, but I feel that Manchester is a very grey and industrial city
Reply 6
Original post by Esthervr
Thank you!
I’ve visited Manchester and I’ll go to durham next month, but I feel that Manchester is a very grey and industrial city

I find the area around the university pretty shabby and very congested. Exciting place culturally though and loads to do at affordable prices. Durham is beautiful - well worth visiting to make sure you don't find it too small.
The University of Manchester or Durham University

Durham in most subjects is the better uni.
But for student life, Manchester is much better.
Reply 8
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
Durham in most subjects is the better uni.
But for student life, Manchester is much better.

So You think that I would have a better time at Manchester??

Hands down. Unless you're a posh tw*t :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10

Tbh I think Manchester would be as rigorous academically as Durham for physics. It’s their most prestigious degree.
In Human Resource Manangement which is better option Durham or Manchester
Original post by sudhir.hansrane
In Human Resource Manangement which is better option Durham or Manchester

Hi @sudhir.hansrane

It’s a personal choice but here are some things that you could consider to help you come to a decision:

the location
- how far away you are from friends / family?
- What is around in the local area etc.

The course
- does the course have modules you enjoy?

It’s also a good idea to visit the university. An open day can really give you a good feel for the place.

Lastly, this post is in a physics forum so you may get more valuable answers if you post in a more relevant place.

Hope this helps!

- Tineke
Lancaster physics graduate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending