I'll be 23 when I graduate...is that too old? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
People my age will have graduated 2 years before.
Captain.boaty
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'll be 25 mate don't worry about it. 20s are kind of those away years for finding yourself and setting yourself up for you 30s imo
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What were you planning on doing about it if it were too old?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
I was thinking about this myself, I might have to wait to to uni until I'm 20 so I'll be in the same boat. Being two years 'behind' does seem weird but idk if it will really be a problem.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
What were you planning on doing about it if it were too old?
Nothing. I just wanted to know what people thought of it, or how 'normal' it is.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nothing. I just wanted to know what people thought of it, or how 'normal' it is.
Oh right. People graduate at all sorts of ages, with plenty at all ages between 20-30 and diminishing numbers thereafter. It's certainly nothing out the ordinary to be graduating at 23.
Anonymous #1
I was thinking about this myself, I might have to wait to to uni until I'm 20 so I'll be in the same boat. Being two years 'behind' does seem weird but idk if it will really be a problem.
If I'm being honest, I don't think it will be a problem at all. I think we just need to remember that we're all on our own path. 2 years is basically nothing.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It couldn't matter less. You'll be working until you're 68 anyway, so what difference do 1 or 2 extra years in the workforce actually make?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Only if they went straight to uni at 18 and did a standard three year course.

But these days, loads of people do gap years first, or might be studying a course that takes four or five years, or do a year abroad during their degree, adding another year.

23 is an entirely normal age to graduate.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reality Check)
Oh right. People graduate at all sorts of ages, with plenty at all ages between 20-30 and diminishing numbers thereafter. It's certainly nothing out the ordinary to be graduating at 23.
Thanks. I think you're right. I think i'm just trying to get some further affirmation for myself here, haha.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Only if they went straight to uni at 18 and did a standard three year course.

But these days, loads of people do gap years first, or might be studying a course that takes four or five years, or do a year abroad during their degree, adding another year.

23 is an entirely normal age to graduate.
Thank you
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks. I think you're right. I think i'm just trying to get some further affirmation for myself here, haha.
No problem. I understand where you're coming from, but there really is nothing to worry about. I doubt anyone would even notice the extra couple of years. The main thing is that you've graduated!
Tammy5tina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
23 is far from being old to graduate! I’m a mature student and won’t graduate until I’m 29, surprisingly at uni it’s common to have many people from different age groups. I know someone on my course who is over 50 years old. It’s less about the age but what you do with your degree. More importantly everyone is different with their background coming into uni. I know I would not of been able to cope with uni life at 18 years old.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tammy5tina)
I know I would not of been able to cope with uni life at 18 years old.
Why?
Tammy5tina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel like I was immature at 18 and wouldn’t of coped with uni as well. Secondly, I was still confused about what I wanted to do in the future, I didn’t want to drop out because I had made a mistake.
Why?
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'll be graduating at 29. I willingly put graduation back a year to spend a year in industry.

I wasn't the eldest in the my year group (in fact there were a good half a dozen people minimum within a year of my age) and I doubt I will be when I go into the year group below when I return to uni in September.
Tinytdog
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
23 is far from being old to graduate! I’m a mature student and won’t graduate until I’m 29, surprisingly at uni it’s common to have many people from different age groups. I know someone on my course who is over 50 years old. It’s less about the age but what you do with your degree. More importantly everyone is different with their background coming into uni. I know I would not of been able to cope with uni life at 18 years old.
Gillzy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
sorry im a bit late here but i was at an interview the other day and one guy there was 24 so he wont get it until 27/28, at uni its fine to be older because some people learn faster than others. also it is good you have got a plan as most youngsters when theyre 18-19 just choose uni because its suits them and they think its all about getting drunk and like a holiday.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (341)
60.35%
Yes- I don't like it (29)
5.13%