Looking for career advice - graduated Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I did history for my undergrad and I decided to pursue a conversion master course in software development. I realized I did not want a career in software development. I have been doing IT support for a month, which I ABSOLUTELY HATE and there does not seem to be progression or further learning opportunities (I really want to quit).

The thing is I do not have any interests or hobbies that I could pursue a career in. Please, can someone offer some advice or share their experiences and how you realized what you wanted to do.
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not enough information there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by giella)
Not enough information there.
I'm kind of lost in how to find out what career path I should take
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well I clicked on this because it’s an experience that chimed a little with my own and a lot with my partner’s, who did first a history degree and now has a career in software development, which he loves.

You’ve said you converted to software development and are now in IT support which you hate. IT support and software development are barely even in the same category of job so I would want more information as to how far you got with that conversion before advising on that. I also don’t know anything about what sort of work you enjoy and what your strengths and skills are and what you enjoy.

As I said, I’m willing to advise but simply don’t have enough to go on right now.
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I did history for my undergrad and I decided to pursue a conversion master course in software development. I realized I did not want a career in software development. I have been doing IT support for a month, which I ABSOLUTELY HATE and there does not seem to be progression or further learning opportunities (I really want to quit).

The thing is I do not have any interests or hobbies that I could pursue a career in. Please, can someone offer some advice or share their experiences and how you realized what you wanted to do.
im doing a conversion course and im applying for it jobs and found that its very difficult to compete against compsci bsc students for software developer roles. so im looking at IT support type jobs or entry level IT jobs and im thinking damn do i really want to do this; i wouldnt have ever considered this before i started. but if i dont get a job in IT it all would have been a waste of time and money. so the middle ground is apply for jobs not necessary an IT role but in a in technology company i.e. fintech
Last edited by steamed-hams; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by steamed-hams)
im doing a conversion course and im applying for it jobs and found that its very difficult to compete against compsci bsc students for software developer roles. so im looking at IT support type jobs or entry level IT jobs and im thinking damn do i really want to do this; i wouldnt have ever considered this before i started. but if i dont get a job in IT it all would have been a waste of time and money. so the middle ground is apply for jobs not necessary an IT role but in a in technology company i.e. fintech
steamed-hams!! That is what I have found as well! I am in the same boat and thinking along those lines. I have been working in an IT support job and I do NOT recommend it, it is basically glorified call centre job. What sort of roles are you looking at now?
Anonymous #1
TBH I am honestly unsure whether I fully do not know what career I would like or that I am interested in software development but just think I do not have the problem solving skills for it. On the other hand. I am unsure whether I am just interested in software development so that I do not waste my money on the degree.

Therefore, I need some advice on whether I should try pursuing software development again. As mentioned I have started recently working in IT support, none of it is dev related. I came across a volunteering opportunity that involves programming and creating websites. I am not able to reduce my hours and I guess I am confused as to whether to leave a paid job to volunteer or not :confused:
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
steamed-hams!! That is what I have found as well! I am in the same boat and thinking along those lines. I have been working in an IT support job and I do NOT recommend it, it is basically glorified call centre job. What sort of roles are you looking at now?
business analyst, data analyst, finance roles, business development, cyber security
maybe do side projects like volunteering ones during the weekends and or evenings in the meantime apply for jobs hoping to get out by xmas
Last edited by steamed-hams; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by steamed-hams)
business analyst, data analyst, finance roles, business development, cyber security
I wanted to try getting into data analytics but they are asking for some knowledge and skills that I do not have. There is also the competition from people having a masters in data analytics and data science. Entry level finance positions is FIERCE competition, as I have noticed many people paying to study for AAT exams and the generic looking for experienced bookkeeper etc :mad:. Even trying to volunteer in finance related roles, you are required to have experience or knowledge. But best of luck with your search. Please keep me updated!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (481)
59.46%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.32%
No- I want it (231)
28.55%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.67%

Watched Threads