After the horrors of WWI, why did allied European nations sleepwalk into WWII? Watch

NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
any ideas?
NJA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
The victors of WWI don't stop Germany re-arming so that it continues it's crushing of them 30 years later, are they all mad? Do they perhaps have Stockholm Syndrome?

If your father and his generation suffered life-changing injuries in a war to preserve your way of life, what would you think of those who allow the same horrible fate to befall you?

What did his suffering achieve?
Last edited by NJA; 5 days ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Because they hoped they could avoid a war via diplomacy. By the time armed conflict was effectively guaranteed the British and French were still rearming.
I havent a clue what you're on about stockholm syndrome for though?
NJA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Because they hoped they could avoid a war via diplomacy. By the time armed conflict was effectively guaranteed the British and French were still rearming.
I havent a clue what you're on about stockholm syndrome for though?
Sorrow or sympathy for the Germans, it was of course known that the Germans were floating the restrictions imposed by the League of Nations after WW1.
Last edited by NJA; 5 days ago
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
Sorrow or sympathy for the Germans, it was of course known that the Germans were floating the restrictions imposed by the League of Nations after WW1.
I assume you mean flaunting?
At any rate that is hardly, or indeed, in any way even remotely like stockholm syndrome.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
The victors of WWI don't stop Germany re-arming so that it continues it's crushing of them 30 years later, are they all mad? Do they perhaps have Stockholm Syndrome?

If your father and his generation suffered life-changing injuries in a war to preserve your way of life, what would you think of those who allow the same horrible fate to befall you?

What did his suffering achieve?
Have you actually done any reading at all on the end of WW1 and what happened in the 20s and 30s? It sounds like you know nothing about the period.
999tigger
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
Go and read up on the events then you will see you are quite silly to use Stockholm syndrome.
Nobody wanted war again and they thought they could solve the situation through diplomacy.
They underestimated Hitler and they were also unwilling and not in a very good position to start a war again.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
At any rate that is hardly, or indeed, in any way even remotely like stockholm syndrome.
Flouting probably (1.openly disregard (a rule, law, or convention)
999tigger
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Flouting probably (1.openly disregard (a rule, law, or convention)
Yep thats what I thought but the rest of his post was so wide of the mark I didnt think it worth the effort.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
flouting.
Can you explain why the flouting /flaunting was not stopped?
AntiFaUgIy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Those who opposed war with Germany were called fascists. Remember that.

Rather than try make peace, there were those pushing the world into war.

Guess who?
NJA
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have you actually done any reading at all on the end of WW1 and what happened in the 20s and 30s? It sounds like you know nothing about the period.
Obviously not enough to answer the question due to time and energy constraints. This is your opportunity to give an answer.

This is what forums are for! ( amongst some of the things)
Last edited by NJA; 4 days ago
999tigger
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
Obviously, not enough to answer the question due to time and energy constraints. This is your opportunity to give an answer.

This is what forums are for! ( amongst some of the things)
As in you are too lazy just to look it up. The answer as appropriate to the question has already been given.
Just google causes of world war 2 GCSE.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Imagine Germany’s power today if Hitler stopped with the Sudetenland after incorporating Austria too, keeping the territories of half of Prussia in Poland today (whose entire country just shifted left..).

Though Hitler was a madman and Russia was always his target unfortunately
Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 4 days ago
NJA
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
As in you are too lazy just to look it up. The answer as appropriate to the question has already been given.
Just google causes of world war 2 GCSE.
It seems that some people here are happy with those. facile answers like because "we relied on diplomacy", This only raises the question why? and is naive in the extreme. My question was prompted by watching War Factories on Yesterday TV channel. It made the point that the Germans reverted to war production almost immediately after WWI though of course they cloaked it where possible, such as pitting great human and other resources into developing "civilian" planes. Of course you can't do that with tanks so they outsourced to Russia and did military training there. Huge state funding (leading to hyper inflation) was used to draw in large numbers of pscientists and pilots , and of course the writings speeches and policies of their beloved leader.
999tigger
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
It seems that some people here are happy with those. facile answers like because "we relied on diplomacy", This only raises the question why? and is naive in the extreme. My question was prompted by watching War Factories on Yesterday TV channel. It made the point that the Germans reverted to war production almost immediately after WWI though of course they cloaked it where possible, such as pitting great human and other resources into developing "civilian" planes. Of course you can't do that with tanks so they outsourced to Russia and did military training there. Huge state funding (leading to hyper inflation) was used to draw in large numbers of pscientists and pilots , and of course the writings speeches and policies of their beloved leader.
Except now you are running two different arguments one about the Allies behaviour and the other about the Germans.
So when you talk about almost immediately after what year are we talking about and what moves did it make? They started in 1919?
So even Weimar were preparing for war and long before Hitler came to power?
Are you saying the Allies didnt rely on diplomacy and appeasement?

Feel free to explain.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
flouting.
Can you explain why the flouting /flaunting was not stopped?
Yes;
1: Because most of it wasnt know about until it was too late i.e. the secret building up of the luftwaffe in Russia
2. Done what about it exactly? Started a new world war when they were hoping to avoid one? I think not.
3. Some in government thought a vaguely reinvigorated germany might be useful on the continent.
4. and most pressingly of all, so i will reiterate it, they did not want a war.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AntiFaUgIy)
Those who opposed war with Germany were called fascists. Remember that.
No they werent.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by NJA)
If you have a generation which has just fought the war to end all wars, a large number of men killed with a generation who may have lost sons, boyfriends and husbands, and as a consequence of that war a framework (however ineffective) for world peace has been formed, you accordingly have countries with a natural disposition to try avoid conflict. In addition you have experienced world economic turmoil in the 1920s and 1930s and you have an environment where peace is a stronger driver than confrontation and there is a natural disposition to turn the other cheek- you also have a Europe unbalanced from the revolution in Russia and the decline of the Ottoman empire, power checks and balances had changed.

Imho to interpret most of history you need to study the preceding years.

A decent starting position re reading would maybe be A J P Taylor, further reading around the controversies his book generated will then help with a wider picture. Afraid it is not really one of my areas of historical interest, I ran out of steam re WW2 years ago, however my other half still reads and studies the period (with a Russian bent) so some of the background rubs off on me when we argue history
NJA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by DJKL)
If you have a generation which has just fought the war to end all wars, a large number of men killed with a generation who may have lost sons, boyfriends and husbands, and as a consequence of that war a framework (however ineffective) for world peace has been formed, you accordingly have countries with a natural disposition to try avoid conflict. In addition you have experienced world economic turmoil in the 1920s and 1930s and you have an environment where peace is a stronger driver than confrontation and there is a natural disposition to turn the other cheek- you also have a Europe unbalanced from the revolution in Russia and the decline of the Ottoman empire, power checks and balances had changed.

Imho to interpret most of history you need to study the preceding years.

A decent starting position re reading would maybe be A J P Taylor, further reading around the controversies his book generated will then help with a wider picture. Afraid it is not really one of my areas of historical interest, I ran out of steam re WW2 years ago, however my other half still reads and studies the period (with a Russian bent) so some of the background rubs off on me when we argue history
I remember seeing a program where the rich & powerful of Europe were enjoying the "peace dividend" of the "roaring 20s" and thoroughly-modern thirties . . . touring Europe and beyond in cars and ships and planes, staying at hotels on The Med. etc, I think the leaders of the League of Nations were just more interested in that to do the homework of finding out where the proud, industrious German people were "at". they (or at least their leaders) thought themselves superior to all other countries in Europe and they wanted to prove it!
One possible exception was Winston Churchill but he was just a voice in the wilderness.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (226)
67.66%
No (108)
32.34%

Watched Threads