Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Oh...crap.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51481469
endergirl123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i mean i dont really care cause people are a specific age arent affected, (children) but i do fret for my parents
big-L
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
every man for himself now
antibody123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
ah ****
perfect time to be a loner :thumbsup:
Scrimbim
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
oooooo scawy. The only thing that bothers me is if I get the virus my surgery will be delayed, however, obviously my heart goes out to the people who have contracted this virus.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
All this scaremongering really doesn’t help matters.

Yes, of course there are more vulnerable people who Coronavirus could be fatal for. But that’s the same for most illnesses. This media hype around each and every case just causes panic and helps nobody.
anime<3gaming
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
shes done the right thing though the only issue being is that shes been on a plane in close proximity to others. They need to be seen to and tested. Either way theres no cause for concern. World Travel. I reckon by end of next month theres at least 40 - 50 cases of positive/negative cases of coronavirus
big-L
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
it’s corona time
Ferrograd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Let's not have any racist stereotyping please. They may wear them for pollution as they are used to wearing them or because of allergies etc
SavageRyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
But t
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Let's not have any racist stereotyping please. They may wear them for pollution as they are used to wearing them or because of allergies etc
But are they the ones to watch out for?
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
This is why this is going to be a bad outbreak, alongside the fact it’s so infectious, people travel much more than they used to. 😐 Aeroplanes are a key place for viruses to spread.
SavageRyan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think it's gonna be a global pandemic
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
People have been wearing face masks long before Coronavirus, (well this mutation) became a thing.
angiad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi Ferrogad,
Don't be scared, the media makes the topic seem way bigger than it is, its called sensationalism. News outlets do this because they know that it will instantly get them readers. Not to say that Corona is not serious but like any other illness it spreads however because of the craze on it right now they feel like its necessary to document every single movement of this virus. Trust me you will be fine, it normally only kills people with weak immune systems and we should be fine with the precautions that the NHS is using. To be honest this is like the Ebola craze a few years back just that, ebola was a lot more deadly but look now its pretty much eradicated, just give it some time.

Hope all is well
Andrea <3
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
I'm n

(Original post by angiad)
Hi Ferrogad,
Don't be scared, the media makes the topic seem way bigger than it is, its called sensationalism. News outlets do this because they know that it will instantly get them readers. Not to say that Corona is not serious but like any other illness it spreads however because of the craze on it right now they feel like its necessary to document every single movement of this virus. Trust me you will be fine, it normally only kills people with weak immune systems and we should be fine with the precautions that the NHS is using. To be honest this is like the Ebola craze a few years back just that, ebola was a lot more deadly but look now its pretty much eradicated, just give it some time.

Hope all is well
Andrea <3
I'm not worried at all tbh. It's no worse than the flu
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
Still, at least China will probably have the lowest emissions and lower global ones, and maybe if it becomes more widespread (unlikely) it will get to a point where it sorts out overpopulation, albeit it has a very low mortality rate. People are overreacting, although it is perhaps concerning the number of cases in the uk.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Steady the Buffs!
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by angiad)
Hi Ferrogad,

Hope all is well
Andrea <3
It’s true for many it seems to just be like a cold and is much less fatal than Ebola however Ebola was much easier to stop since people that had it weren’t travelling and spreading it everywhere internationally, it mostly stayed in one area. Additionally Ebola is much less infectious, this new virus can be spread by inhaling it or through the eyes, it can also live on surfaces for up to 9 days and has an incubation period (where people are infectious but show no symptoms) of up to 14 days, though new research suggests it could be as high as 24 days.

The main concern of this virus is not how deadly it is (which is still very deadly for a respiratory infection), but how easily it spreads and even if it kills 2% of people, it could kill millions, and hospitalise many more (around 20% of reported cases are serious or critical) so that there won’t be supplies to treat everyone. Also it could mutate to become more deadly and/or infectious, so better to stop it as soon as possible before this happens.

On the bright side, it could mutate to become less deadly, though probably not less infectious, as more infectious is beneficial to the virus. Additionally even if there are more cases than recorded, if these cases are mild, then the death rate will be lower (although it seems there could also be more deaths which haven’t been diagnosed).
Last edited by Em.-.; 6 days ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It's normal throughout E. Asia to wear face masks, the urban areas are very densely populated and it is considered polite as well as defensive.

There is no direct relationship between Chinese-looking people (many in London and elsewhere in the UK are not actually from China) wearing face masks and Covid-19. Please don't spread racially aggravating statements about it.
Ferrograd
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lyndsey.95)
I didn't know this was a normal thing. There was nothing racial about my comment, I said 'chinese' as that's who I've seen wearing masks.
Unless you understand one of the languages spoken in China, or they told you they were chinese, you would have not known whether or not they were chinese. I think the more general, and polite, term would be "East Asian". Could be from anywhere in that region - Japan, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Vietnam, Mongolia, even somewhere as far West as Kazakhstan or the other central asian countries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (219)
68.22%
No (102)
31.78%

Watched Threads