What's realistic? Watch

SilenceOfTheLamb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I am entering my first half marathon in June and am wondering what a realistic time would be, I am currently averaging 8 minutes per mile in my runs this is something I can keep up for 10 miles I've just got back from a five mile run in 40 minutes

As it's four months away what's a realistic time I could get if I train really hard? I've boxed in the past so I know what it's like to train every day for hours on end.

I know it's highly unlikely I'll come in first place something I'm not focusing on but it would be nice to get a respectable time and not cross the finish line along side all the I am only doing this once in my life ever for charity and then go back to being unfit type of racers.

Off hand I can run 13 miles in just under two hours which I am looking to drastically improve with hard work. Would 1:30 be realistic to improve to by then?
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
1:30 is possible, but doing a training run is very different from race conditions. Your time will depend on how busy the race will be, because it takes time getting through slower runners if they've set off at the front, and the type of course, hills or flat?
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
1:30 is possible, but doing a training run is very different from race conditions. Your time will depend on how busy the race will be, because it takes time getting through slower runners if they've set off at the front, and the type of course, hills or flat?
That's what I was wondering about at the beginning, won't everyone be in the way of each other etc and who decides who's at the front etc before the race begins? I'd hate to be at the very back. it's flat compared to what I am used to training on I think there could be one or two hills but it's genuinely a flat route.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb)
That's what I was wondering about at the beginning, won't everyone be in the way of each other etc and who decides who's at the front etc before the race begins? I'd hate to be at the very back. it's flat compared to what I am used to training on I think there could be one or two hills but it's genuinely a flat route.
Some application forms ask for an estimated completion time and put the (alleged) faster runners towards the front by having designated sections for each block of, say, 15 minutes, eg they will be signposted for 1:00-1:15, 1:15-1:30, and the race number will show where you go, by colour or something. From my experience, there's a lot of people who overestimate their abilities (ok, they're liars!). I'd ask the organisers how the start is managed.
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
(Original post by Surnia)
Some application forms ask for an estimated completion time and put the (alleged) faster runners towards the front by having designated sections for each block of, say, 15 minutes, eg they will be signposted for 1:00-1:15, 1:15-1:30, and the race number will show where you go, by colour or something. From my experience, there's a lot of people who overestimate their abilities (ok, they're liars!). I'd ask the organisers how the start is managed.
I'll have to ask beforehand but if they don't anything like that I just hope that contestants who know they are slow all don't put themselves near the front because that would be really frustrating. I'd be happy with putting myself in the middle because that's what I am, an average runner but I don't want to be at the back with the 'I am doing this one time only in memory of a relative' sort of runners that have to stop and walk some of it.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Use a training programme, there's loads online. Don't run everyday.

Aim for 2 hours as a starting point
SilenceOfTheLamb
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Use a training programme, there's loads online. Don't run everyday.

Aim for 2 hours as a starting point
I can already do it in two hours and as it's four months away I may as well train for a better time and I am going to commit to running five days a week, I am currently having the problem of getting bored on runs so I am going to join a running club.
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I can already do it in two hours and as it's four months away I may as well train for a better time and I am going to commit to running five days a week, I am currently having the problem of getting bored on runs so I am going to join a running club.
Running in an event is very different. You tend to get carried by the masses and run too hard to start and then drop off. You may well be able to get down to 1:30 but if you aim for a good 2hours. You'll be happy with any improvement
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Running in an event is very different. You tend to get carried by the masses and run too hard to start and then drop off. You may well be able to get down to 1:30 but if you aim for a good 2hours. You'll be happy with any improvement
It can take a few minutes to settle into a rhythm, but that's true of any run, training or race. It's not a problem if you place yourself correctly at the start and practice pacing yourself. For half and full marathons I knew every time that I should be hitting for each mile for my target and ran to that.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'll have to ask beforehand but if they don't anything like that I just hope that contestants who know they are slow all don't put themselves near the front because that would be really frustrating. I'd be happy with putting myself in the middle because that's what I am, an average runner but I don't want to be at the back with the 'I am doing this one time only in memory of a relative' sort of runners that have to stop and walk some of it.
If it's a free start, go for the middle, but not the middle of the crowd. I'd stick to the edge whilst it gets going, then gradually move to the middle to avoid the drinks stations, walkers etc.
tablestander64
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
your mum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (478)
59.38%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.34%
No- I want it (231)
28.7%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.58%

Watched Threads