elliec67
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My maths teacher told me that if you don't write an answer on the answer line but you finish your calculation with the answer, you still get the mark and it's a good idea because you might write something out wrong on the answer line and lose the marks. Is this true?
elliec67
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Sorry if i didn't explain it well enough :P
hallaluliah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well the answer line is there for a reason, but i think ur teacher is correct however just be safe and make sure ur working out and answer match
b1nary
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Previously, I have done this, and lost out on marks, only got the method marks, but didn’t get full marks as I didn’t write on the line. It’s best and safe to write on the line.
Last edited by b1nary; 1 week ago
PizzaMan2989
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My maths teacher is an examiner and he said that it's fine if you don't write it on the line as long as it's clear where the answer is. Also, it helps because on the mark scheme there's a thing where say you rounded wrong you still get the mark if you put it on the page somehwere
b1nary
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PizzaMan2989)
My maths teacher is an examiner and he said that it's fine if you don't write it on the line as long as it's clear where the answer is. Also, it helps because on the mark scheme there's a thing where say you rounded wrong you still get the mark if you put it on the page somehwere
Your maths teacher chats quick. Anyways, the dotted line is there for a reason, for your final question. I go to a grammar school, and they are strict to write everything in full and to check before submitting. It’s fine if it was in a rush, but doing it on purpose, is not worth taking the risk.
adhfdhdfhf
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For my IGCSE exam i wrote the answer in the blank space then circled them at the end of the paper to make it stand out. You dont need to write them on the dashed line
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by b1nary)
Your maths teacher chats quick. Anyways, the dotted line is there for a reason, for your final question. I go to a grammar school, and they are strict to write everything in full and to check before submitting. It’s fine if it was in a rush, but doing it on purpose, is not worth taking the risk.
I don't know how going to a grammar school has anything to with it but okay...
but yeah ideally you should put the answer on the dotted line for clarity but examiners aim to give marks, not take them away so they will search for your answer if they really have to
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic lol but my teacher had reiterated it throughout the year
b1nary
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also I really can't tell if you're being sarcastic lol but my teacher had reiterated it throughout the year
I’m not being sarcastic.

I don't know how going to a grammar school has anything to with it but okay...
but yeah ideally you should put the answer on the dotted line for clarity but examiners aim to give marks, not take them away so they will search for your answer if they really have to
I’m not saying going to a grammar school has anything to do with it, i’m just stating that in my school, which is a grammar school, they are particularly strict about these simple errors that can be avoided. It’s best to put the answer on the line but nowadays, examiners are quite picky and don’t really like to offer marks like that unfortunately and would like to rule you out at any moment they can.
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not being sarcastic.

I’m not saying going to a grammar school has anything to do with it, i’m just stating that in my school, which is a grammar school, they are particularly strict about these simple errors that can be avoided. It’s best to put the answer on the line but nowadays, examiners are quite picky and don’t really like to offer marks like that unfortunately and would like to rule you out at any moment they can.
I'm sorry I disagree, unlike A levels at least, GCSE marking is a lot more lenient - Are any of your teacher's examiners btw. I do agree that Grammar schools in a sense are a lot more strict but yeah^^
b1nary
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm sorry I disagree, unlike A levels at least, GCSE marking is a lot more lenient - Are any of your teacher's examiners btw. I do agree that Grammar schools in a sense are a lot more strict but yeah^^
I do not know if any of my teachers are examiners, may I ask if you did/do higher or foundation maths?
PizzaMan2989
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I do not know if any of my teachers are examiners, may I ask if you did/do higher or foundation maths?
I'm doing higher and also the FSMQ. Ik for the fsmq it does get a bit stricter on marking as the testing of actual mathematical application develops. I also go to a grammar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills ā€“ LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (264)
60.69%
Yes- I don't like it (21)
4.83%
No- I want it (117)
26.9%
No- I don't want it (33)